Back from the track with my new combo

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
At 2:15 Wed, I got the 88 running again. A little after 6pm, I was making my first passes. The main change is more compression... I went from 8.2:1 to 10:1 compression, and the E85 is happy so far. I was also running less boost, but ran a little quicker(20psi now, vs 23psi before). I had a ton of fun out there.

The first pass, I didn't put enough heat in the nittos and spun through ALL of first gear. That netted me a 12.7@109mph with a not 'bad for spinning' 2.0 60'. Next pass, I put more heat in the tires and launched a bit softer, going 12.5@108mph with a 1.8 60'. I was only running 18psi then. After that, I cranked it up to 20psi (still 3-4psi less than last year) and slapped down a set 12.2s at 109mph with 1.7 60' times. One race was against a sweet little small block coupe that was running deep 12s, so tried to nail the tree. I guess I scared him, because he went 13.5 against me. lol Last pass, I spun a little on launch and had to pedal it, giving a 2.0 60', resulting in a 12.9@105mph. Seems the bottle is empty... :(

Now, I'm wondering why I was down 2mph in the quarter compared to last year.
Last year:
60' 1.797
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]

This year:
60' 1.769
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]

So my 1/8th mph is nearly identical, but I lost 2mph in the quarter? What happen there? The only thing I can figure, is the bottle pressure was too low. Last year, it was completely full with similar temps, but this year, it was nearly empty with similar temps... so maybe the bottle pressure was dropping by the end of each pass?

A few pictures:
P1060849.jpg

P1060848.jpg

A video of my pass against that coupe:
P1060851.flv video by bhuff66062 - Photobucket

• Sponsors (?)

Brian, what was your DA today? Bottle pressure will kill that MPH if it is not up. Do you have a warmer?

Just to show you how fast that car is for your hp, here are some comparison passes in San Antonio, not the passes in my sig. DA was +1500ft of my car. I do slow shift 2-3 and 3-4, because 4th gear is almost gone and the 2-3 shift doesn't feel right either. Race weight here was 3420, but I am usually under 3300. 18 inch tires and IRS(nightmare to launch on)

92.06mph
none
No 4th gear

91.46mph
none
No 4th gear again

I like threads like this, it's always neet to save your slips and compare how cars/driver transition throughout the pass, especially with different cars. I'm sure that 11 will come. The summer might make it harder. Good luck, man!

I didn't think about DA at all until you mentioned it. I figured the DA was pretty good for Kansas since it was cool out. It was 1600 ft above sea level.

Your mph is just awesome. I only wish I could hit 92mph in the 1/8th. But my setup doesn't like to rev. It seems to make lots of torque which is good for ET, but looses steam above 60mph.

No bottle warmer. I put the bottle in warm water before leaving, but I'm sure it was cool again after a few passes. I'm only running a 35 shot anyway.

Brian, what was your DA today? Bottle pressure will kill that MPH if it is not up. Do you have a warmer?

Just to show you how fast that car is for your hp, here are some comparison passes in San Antonio, not the passes in my sig. DA was +1500ft of my car. I do slow shift 2-3 and 3-4, because 4th gear is almost gone and the 2-3 shift doesn't feel right either. Race weight here was 3420, but I am usually under 3300. 18 inch tires and IRS(nightmare to launch on)

92.06mph
none
No 4th gear

91.46mph
none
No 4th gear again

I like threads like this, it's always neet to save your slips and compare how cars/driver transition throughout the pass, especially with different cars. I'm sure that 11 will come. The summer might make it harder. Good luck, man!

Have a gauge on the bottle? It very well could have lost some pressure if it was chilled and the bottle isn't very full. Have you considered upping the shot to a 50-55 :shrug:? I figured your mph on the 1/8th would be a little higher however I am unsure of which gears you have in it?

According to that website, the DA was 1600. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Nope, no pressure gauge on the bottle either. I'm spraying blind. :p I do have a wideband at least.

With the jets I have, the next step would be a 75 shot. I've thought about it and I'm sure I'll try it sometime, but haven't gotten there yet. The main restriction on my setup is the tiny turbo. It is still a stock T3 and the exhaust side must be a huge restriction already. Even if I spray it harder, it may not go any faster because of the restriction.