Fuel Bad Gas Or Faulty Fuel Pump

polaraman

Feb 27, 2015
Dublin, GA
So I'm still identifying issues with the 89 GT Hatch I recently purchased. I have the idle issues all but straightened out. I'm just seeing this odd issue.

As long as I'm over 1/2 tank, the car runs nearly perfectly. Once I get below that mark, it runs pretty poorly at idle. For instance, it will run ok for about 90 seconds and then it will start chopping the idle and when i try to accelerate, it pops and skips until i feed it more gas. Usually once I do that, the bad idle will correct itself and the process starts over in 90 seconds.

Does this sound like I have water in my tank? Or do I have a problem with the fuel pump assembly?

• Sponsors (?)

Your problem does sound fuel related but there are tons of other reasons this could be happening.

Check and/or replace your fuel filter to eliminate that as the culprit. If it were me, I'd drop the tank, inspect it, drain it and if you've never replaced the pump, I'd replace it too.

If these things don't fix it, its time to move up to the engine compartment.

Good Luck

The tank has a tub in it that the pump sits in, if the tub breaks loose you will have issues when the fuel level is low. Usually it's accompanied by the car wanting to stall when you go around a turn.

Reactions: 1 user