Bad news: cars in bad shape!!!!!!!

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
I was rowing some gears on a backroad, on the way to visit my parents(old country road) when my rear u-joint decided to snap or whatever it did, had the car towed, to my parents, and looked under i have a driveshaft that looks like a V, some really bent up tailpipes etc., one of my flowmasters has a dent in it like a softball, and the extension housing on the tranny is busted, plus don't know if the tranny itself is messed up or not!!!! Well enough rant, the real problem i was worried about is the motor died during the whole incident and i can't get it to crank, its like it wants to crank but doesn't. So my question is what could have happened to the motor, wouldn't the clutch slip or something in a situation like this to give a little break, the tranny i can fix myself, but i am just wondering what could have happened to hurt the motor, i am hoping that the driveshaft flopping around could have just bent a fuel line closed or something, even when i turn on the key the fuel pump doesn't even prime!!!

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

everyone give their opinions, also if you have a driveshaft or other parts let me know, i may need them.

sorry for the long post

jason

• Sponsors (?)

If the tranny detonated as part of your experience, I could see it binding up and keeping the motor from being able to turn over. Time to start tearing everything out :(. Hopefully the motor is unhurt.

I think next week I'll go order my driveshaft loop...

Dave

yeah that little drive shaft loop would have really saved the day when the car goes back together it willhave one. It WAS as you put it an experience The motor will turn over an try to crank, i am just not sure why it won't. The fuel pump not even priming is kinda throwing me for a loop. i just dont understand that one :nonono:

no start prob

You no start problem could be as simple as the inertia switch triggered when the driveshaft went mental. The reset is in the drivers side rear. This keeps the fuel pump from pumping if you get into a rear impact. Sometimes even slamming your trunk lid can trigger it if it's older and more sensative. GOOD LUCK MAN!!

man that damn thing was like an explosion the shifter jumped out of place, tranny fluid went all over the exhaust and smoke filled the cab. maybe it is that inertia switch considering the thing hit so hard, only lasted about two second and all was over

jason

Jason...all i can say is "this sucks" I can feel for you as i dropped a valve and lost an entrre motor after my H/C/I...IT BITES...plain and simple..
Let us now the damage..Im sure we can pool some parts up...I got a stock DS upstairs in the garage..if funds are there you may wanna upgrade to Alum DS..

check to see its getting spark...if it is, grab some starting fluid, whip the CAI off and give it a squirt in the TB....if it starts, then you have a "no fuel" issue...Hopefully the interia switch just tripped...

good luck....geez...murphys law.... :bang:

yeah man tell me about it. I may take you up on that stock driveshaft, if i don't find an aluminum one at a good price, and ship it back to you after i upgrade.

Man i think that torque is what got to that thing, i could just blow away the tires in first and second and spin good in third. I am gonna check the tranny tomm. probably go ahead and pull it out. I looked at the exhaust and my h-pipe and cat back is pretty much destroyed. I am also gonna check the inertia switch, now that i think of it this has gotta be what it is because it tried to start but then acted like it ran outta fuel. I will keep this thread updated i will post pics of my driveshaft etc. soon

just to make you guys cringe.

psssssstt.. yeah screw murphy lolol

driveshaft loop will only help if the front joint goes. the theory behind the rear one letting go is it should just fall out or something, but if the front one goes the rear tires will keep it spinning and can either go up through the floor into the interior, or catapult the entire rear of the car.. screw the stock shaft get an aluminum since you are already down

This is probably what I am going to do, who knew a driveshaft would be so expensive. I had not ever looked at them before. If the tranny's internals are messed up i am probably gonna put some stronger stuff in there.

jason

jason

well went out today and messed with the exhaust etc.

the button in the trunk was triggered and when i pushed it it crunk right up, guess i just had to reset it. That is a big relief now i only have to worrie about the bell back to the rear, the u-joint is still in the rear end just the two caps for the driveshaft are off of the u-joint itself and and the extension housing on the tranny is broke clean in half where the tranny mount is at. The only other problem i see is that the h-pipe is destroyed and the catback is pretty bent up.

anyone got any h pipes or anything for sale let me know

jason
E-mail is [email protected]

well while i have to replace it i might get an X pipe but well have to see. i've already starting looking in the classifieds. But pics and a price on the stock h-pipe would work just in case thanks,

jason

Yeah, shipping might be not really worth it on the stocker. I have no idea what it would cost. I took the h-pipe off at 13k miles so it's pretty much spotless, just been sitting in my garage all year.

Jake

HairyCanary said:
You can get a Magnaflow high-flow catted H-pipe for $230. Not a bad price.

Dave

When did Magnaflow start selling h-pipes? I thought they only sold x-pipes? Can you give me a link? Or did you mean x-pipe?

LOL. I read your first post Dave. It's sad how people's devastations make us think about our cars. If I ever get the dinero for a H/C/I, I will seriously think about a DS loop. Do they sell ones for both the front and rear section?

RIO, when did you drop the valve? Didn't you just put the thumper heads in like a month ago? I hope they will be giving you a new set of heads for free after destroying your engine!!!! Are they taking any responsibility for what happened?

Jason, sorry to hear about your car. I will be getting a x-pipe sometime
during the first week of January. If I decide to get a catted one, I will sell you my h-pipe. But I still might get a o/r x.

Do you think an exhaust shop could fix the piping? You could always get a muffler shipped to you. But I don't know anyone that sells mufflers that have the posts welded to the mufflers so you can use the OEM rubber hangers.

I imagine you can pick up some cheap exhaust from a junkyard. Hopefully you can find someone with some aftermarket pipes.

Anyone know if you can use the h-pipe from a 96-98? I know they have 4 O2 sensors, but couldn't you just plug the rears and use the good O2's for up front?

Scott