Bad T5 tailshaft bushing

So, on my 82 GT, which I rarely drive, I recently noticed a loud clucking noise coming just from underneath the trans tunnel. I thought it was just the U-joints, so I checked them, though there wasn't any play, I replaced it anyway, drove it and noise was still there. The DS bolts are tightened to spec and are brand new, IRS center section has less than 20k off a buddy Cobra that has never been abused, whatsoever.

I investigated further and found a very minimal amount of play coming from where the slip yoke goes into the tailshaft. Is that an indication of a bad bushing?

Thanks in advance all

• Sponsors (?)

Is the outside diameter of the Cobra DS's trans yolk the same diameter as the OEM shaft's yolk?? Any tailshaft leakage evident? Bushing could be worn after all these years. Milage on car?

Make sure the E-brake workings above the DS in the DS tunnel are not making contact with the DS. Marks in DS?

GT

Is the outside diameter of the Cobra DS's trans yolk the same diameter as the OEM shaft's yolk?? Any tailshaft leakage evident? Bushing could be worn after all these years. Milage on car?

Make sure the E-brake workings above the DS in the DS tunnel are not making contact with the DS. Marks in DS?

GT

I am using the FRPP DS even before I did the IRS swap, I just replaced the rear flange and u-joint to mate to the IRS, So the yoke is made for the T5.

No tailshaft leakage at all, fluid was replaced about 2k miles ago, the tranny itself has approx 60k off a buddy's dad car, not abused at all.

As for the parking brake stuff, I don't have the cables yet, so I took off everything underneath that was hanging down before installing the DS, and I check for clearance everywhere, no sign of any contact anywhere.

I'd say yes, but it's such a PITA to replace that bushing on the car.

I have a FRPP AL driveshaft and a fresh rebuilt T-5 with new bushing. Entire setup has 600 miles on it. I just checked and i have ZERO play in the yoke