Basically stock 90GT for $19k... is this guy a joke?

92Patrol5.0

Founding Member
Sep 20, 1999
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So I'm bored at work today so I decided to get on autotrader and see if theres any 5.0 for sale in my area. Well I had to stretch it out to the chicago area to find any(I'm in Iowa). So the first one on the list is a white 90 GT for $19,000. So I click on it... and it's basically stock. I email the dude to see what the heck makes his car worth $19k. He says it has a rebuilt engine, alum. driveshaft, 3.73 gears, headers, flowmaster exhaust, etc etc.. Just the basic bolt ons. A few suspension upgrades, etc. He also said the heads are ported/polished, etc... No aftermarket heads, intake, cam, nothin! No charger, no nitrous, no nothin! Basically a stock 90 GT with the normal basic bolt ons. So I respond and ask him what makes him think it's worth $19k. He says he has $15,000 worth of receipts for all the stuff he's done to the car(stuff I just listed)-he also included stuff like FMS wires, new tires.. etc. Then he proceeds to tell me that with all of this money invested he can beat his brother's stock 5.0 that runs 13.5 :rlaugh: So he's got a basically stock 90 GT with basic bolt ons and wants to get his money back for all the tiny stuff he's done to the car. Is it just me, or is this guy out of his mind? Who would pay $19k for a car like that?

• Sponsors (?)

Secrete is to find the weak...find the guys who want the car, find the guys who think it's rare, find the guy who is unable to estimate the true value. He will find someone to buy the car near his price if he waits. Every so often along comes a buyer, who's own self created fear that these cars will all magically go into hiding before he has a chance to own one, and this guy is the one that will overpay (not to him mind you) and feel like he's king for a day. Guys like this have more money than time in research..make bad decisions and sellers like above actually get their money out of the car....all it takes is time to find the stupid.

Secrete is to find the weak...find the guys who want the car, find the guys who think it's rare, find the guy who is unable to estimate the true value. He will find someone to buy the car near his price if he waits. Every so often along comes a buyer, who's own self created fear that these cars will all magically go into hiding before he has a chance to own one, and this guy is the one that will overpay (not to him mind you) and feel like he's king for a day. Guys like this have more money than time in research..make bad decisions and sellers like above actually get their money out of the car....all it takes is time to find the stupid.

AKA, a dumbass??

I sold my old 91 V6 automatic Camaro, not even a vert, with around 108k on the odometer, for $3000. :shrug: She didnt even want to test drive it before she cut me a check, I made her drive it so I wouldn't feel like such a crook. Should've seen me trying to explain to her how to properly use the TCC lockup switch (had TCC issues and didnt wanna buy a new one so I rigged a manual lockup switch to get rid of the shudder)

I cant stand people who make repairs to an old vehicle and think they should make money and get above blue book because they put so much money into the car. If your car is mint then its true value is what blue book says. But the real value in reality is whatever the market will allow and pay. The money is spent in mods is ridiculous and I know if I were to sell id lose money big time. I have no intentions of selling my car anytime soon or in the future so. Its guys like that, that prove the fox body is not a car for people that dont work on their own car. If your gonna only pay out people to work on it your better off buying a fast car fairly new. ie 03 cobra etc.

lol I'm sure it has more than 18 miles on it. He did rebuild the engine. But with all the fancy extras like FMS wires and such... that adds to the value of the car because those are some very rare wires! He hasn't reponded to my last reply yet so I'm guessing he doesn't have much more to say. You can get a 5.0 for 5000 and make it look brand new AND haul some major a$$ for $15k. Or you can get a stock 90 GT for $19k. Tough choice.

It hink this is kinda funny, i know a guy with a real 93 cobra, with a novi 2k 408 stroker, 5 lug conversion, complete aftermarket suspension, brand new paint job, full black interrior, full stereo system, just about everythign you could do to the car done. And he was struggling trying to sell it for 18k. This was a mint car, one of the nicest mustangs i had ever seen. I have a feeling this guy is going to have that car for sale for a while or find someone who is a real idiot with a lot of money.

I paid $12K for mine and I know I overpaid but it had a ton of mods ( the paint needs help, will paint it down the road).....I do not think I could have built the car for what he was asking for it but if I had waited and looked around some more I could have gotten the same car for less:( ...I know that now. Do you guys think I paid way too much or just overpaid a lil' bit, I would love to hear some thoughts on it...I know what my frieds opinions are:nonono: Mods below:

1993 LX H/B

*Engine:

-9K on new motor, installed 11 June 04
-302, balanced & blueprinted, started with new FRPP Cobra shortblock
-Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads (light mods to heads, can give details)
-Trick Flow hardened pushrods
-FRPP lifters
-1.6 FRPP roller rockers
-F-303 Cam
-Trick Flow Track Heat Intake (polished)
-24# injectors, Granatelli 76mm MAF, Kirban Adjastable regulator
-Edelbrock 70mm TB & Spacer (polished)
-C&L TrueFlow Intake Tube (polished) & K&N 9" filter
-Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets (installed Nov. 19, 2006)
-Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gasket (installed Nov. 11, 2006)
-March Underdrive pullies, All March polished pully covers & alt. fan, polished stock tensioner w/ UPR Billit idler pully
-140 amp Powermaster Alternator (6 months old, one wire)
-MSD 6a, mounted on custom polished bracket, MSD cap & rotor, FRPP 9mm Ignition Wires, Accel Ignition Module, MSD Ignition Coil
-New (not junkyard) from Ford electric fan for '98 Taurus V-6
-Smog Pump Eliminated, along with all other emmisions related items
-ARP Bolts EVERYWHERE!
-FRPP 4 Core Aluminum Radiator
-Griffen Radiator Cap
-160* Thermostat

*Exhaust:

-MAC Longtube Headers
-MAC O/R H-pipe
-MAC Cat-Back

*Suspension:

-springs, shocks & struts, rear lower control arms were all replaced and are new since March '05.
-brakes, 5 lug conversion, and new rear axle since about 800 miles ago!

-Steeda Sport Springs
-Tokiko Illumina 5 way adjustable struts & shocks
-Steeda Aluminum Rear Lower Control Arms
-Metco Solid Rear Upper Control Arms
-Steeda Front & Rear Sway bars w/ new bushings & endlinks
-MM Full Length Subframe connectors with X-braces
-RNH Racing Upper/ Lower Torque Box Reinforcement Kit
-MAC Camber Plates
-New spring isolators
-'94 Mustang Spindles
-'94 Mustang Ball joints (NO SPACERS USED IN CONVERSION)
-Stainless Steel Brake Lines
-Powerstop X-Drilled 13" front rotors
-Bullit Mustang Twin Piston PBR Callipers w/ Hawk Pads
-ALL bushings have been replaced
-Flaming River Steering Shaft…why??? (don’t ask)
-Battery Relocation Kit (Taylor Aluminum box, polished with inside cut-off switch)

*Drivetrain

-Liberty rebuilt T5 (about 1.5 years old, maybe 7K on it)
-Spec II Clutch Assembly (new with motor), factory flywheel (new with motor)
-Pro 5.0 Shifter w/UPR TrickStick and MGW Composite Race Knob
-FRPP Adjustable Clutch Cable & Alum. Steeda Quadrant
-New Ford Cutch Fork Cover
-FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
-FRPP 3.73 Gears
-FRPP 31 Spline Diff (installed 3 weeks ago with axles, seals, bearings, ect. 600 break-in miles on rear since then)
-Superior 31 Spline Axles (5 lug)
-Redline Synthetic 75W90 Gear Oil and Motorcraft Friction Modifier Used
-MAC Rear Stud Girdle

*Interior:

-2003 Cobra Seats (Black w/ gray suade, all power options work!)
-New Black Carpet throughout
-Custom Rear Seat delete carpeted in black
-'89 GT door panels
-MAC white faced gauge cluster
-Auto Meter Gauge Cage w/ Phantom Oil & Water, (light up green to match dash)
-Auto Meter Phantom Monster Tach w/ shift light & memory
-Cowlgaugeconcepts custom gauge cowl panel with Auto Meter Phantom Volt & Feul Pressure Guages
-Steeda Billet Pedals
-2003 Cobra Shift Knob (5 speed pattern)
-Custom leather boot over E-brake handle
-All options work! Ashtray door works perfect! Console lid also latches.
-Sony CD deck with 10 disk Sony Changer and Kenwood 380 Watt amp under rear seat delete, Polk Audio Speakers

*Exterior:

-2001 Cobra-style wheels (factory polished, actually these came new on a 2004 GT, but are the same wheel)
-Projector Headlight/ Diamond clear markers Projector bulbs are wired to a stock GT foglight switch
-Alot of chrome / polished items under hood. Some custom one-off parts too.
-IST Hood Lifters

- 310rwhp/335rwtq – 12.5 @ 112mph