bbk shortie headers

88lx5oh

Apr 1, 2004
ok i was looking on the jegs site and they had some equal and unequal lenght 1"5/8 headers. now here come the questions

what is stock size for headers-
what performance/sound differences do you get form equal to unequal-
and to the best of my knowledge they will bolt right up to stock h-pipe. is this true

• Sponsors (?)

They will bolt right up to the stock h pipe. I have a set of unequal length shorties on my 93. Went in pretty easy. I have never compared equal to unequal as far as exhaust tone so I can't give you any advice there.

I really couldn't tell a big difference in exhaust tone over the stock headers with the shorties though.

One last thing, when you put a set of headers on use a set of locking header bolts. They are well worth the money in terms of frustation over exhaust leaks and having to replace gaskets.

Ive got BBK shorties and they will be alot easier to install than equal length headers. They went in easy. Theres no difference in sound and there aren't any big advantages to equal length headers.(at least nothing your going to notice). If your doing headers, hook it up to O/R H or X pipe to really hear the difference in sound. MAC O/R h is only 109.00.

If your planning on replacing the stock H pipe soon, and emmisions isn't that much a concern, I would go ahead and get Longtubes, you'll be glad you did once you get them in there. The install difficulty is far overrated IMO.

I strongly agree also with the copper gaskets.

well im gonna wait till i do this b/c ive herd through the grape vine that e check is gone soon so im gonna save up and then do it all at once. i bought the car with a flowmaster cat back idk what kind or anything it sounds ok but not quite what im looking for. so i was thinking longtubes or shorties, o/r x pipe, and prob bullets or what else woudl u guys recommend for a muffler. idk what sounds good or nothing

TattooMatt said:
I second the vote for locking header bolts.
stage8.jpg
16 for $38.
Image40.jpg

3/8" Stainless steel split lock washers $ .08 each or $ 3.60 for 100
same idea alot cheaper

Give it a bit of thought before you proceed - you don't have a sig on your post so we can't see what's done to your car. Unless you're up over 280HP or so, the stock headers aren't a restriction, which means the aftermarket shorties won't really help. I LOST 3-5HP when I pulled my stockers off and put 1 5/8ths Ford Racing shorties on. If you're gonna make other mods later and know you'll need them eventually, fine. But if you're looking for help now, you'd be better off concentrating on the system behind the headers, or looking at the intake manifold - the lower is the first flow restriction on the engine.

88lx5oh said:
...i bought the car with a flowmaster cat back idk what kind or anything it sounds ok but not quite what im looking for. so i was thinking longtubes or shorties, o/r x pipe, and prob bullets or what else woudl u guys recommend for a muffler. idk what sounds good or nothing

Longtubes will give you a totally different sound. I was running stock headers/H pipe with flowmasters dumped and swiched to BBK LT's with o/r H and it sounds nothing alike it did.

im kinda confused on what you guys mean by dumped is that no tailpipes after the mufflers or is it those electric cut outs everyonr says it sounds better im gonna try this

Yeah, it's fun for about 30 minutes. It's not just loud - it's mind numbing resonances that do it. It's loud and the quality of the sound inside the car isn't what most people consider acceptable. But hey, if you like, give it a try. You can always put your tailpipes on later - keep 'em handy though. I'd predict you'll grow weary of it quickly.

is the stock size around 2 inches. and do they make fitting/couplers from stock size to 3" for the bullets i prob wont go dumps but i might consder side exit exhaust idk yet