BE CAREFULL OF THE BLACK ICE !!!!!!

The Factor

Jul 12, 2003
beaverton,oregon
Hopefully every ones already home safe and if so use my experience for a future reference and warning. I got sideways in my truck and never saw it coming I was coming home from work on the 26 doing 60 to 65 mph and keeping up with the flow of traffic although some were going a little faster but I had black ice on my mind so I was being a little cautious but not enough to want to put it in 4 Wheel drive and my temperature gauge on my truck said it was 34 out so I figured it was ok. Anyway took my exit, stopped at the light then the light turned green got half way threw the turn and my truck was sideways and there was a car on one side of me and one on the other side by my rear fender and I was drifting in between them and I was only doing around 25mph in the turn. I dont know how but I managed to save it correcting back and forth with my steering and feathering the gas I was like holy **** I had flash backs of my cobra :D seriously though what a wake up call after that everyone was creeping at 15 mph after they saw me getting sideways, well needless to say I slapped her into fourwheel drive and tip toed all the way home:D and after I parked my truck in the garage I went to my mail box and my street was a sheet of ice and it wass only around 10pm So wanted to share my experience with everyone else and hopefully everyone will make it home safe with this begning season of cold weather and learn from my experience :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

ASD said:
Ed,
Don't wreck my truck! Did you come off the freeway on a overpass? They are always iced up due to the air moving underneath. I'm glad you got home safe!
Thanks Alan, actualy I got off on 185th and your wright it was a overpass. I thought I was safe after driving 16 miles on the 26 with no problems and as soon as I got off the freeway and let my guard down I almost ate it and that would of really sucked to crash on my birthday:nonono: Dont worry I wont wreck your truck:p :D

I did the brake test in the parking lot of my apartment complex. It looked wet but with my experience living in places where it snows every year, I know that it could have been black ice. Sure enough, I found that it was spotty so I took extra care driving in it since you never know with black ice.

It's hard to tell what is black ice and what is wet pavement, so everyone please take extra care when driving with the cold weather. It can also rain and freeze the water in the pavement overnight too so it can creep on us with no snow as long as it's cold enough outside with precipitation on the roads.

Damn Ed, that would've been a terrible b-day present for you. Glad you managed to save her. Its amazing that you guys are getting snow and black ice and me in Mass where it should be 3ft of snow by now has been nice and sunny.

yeah i left auburn/work at 4:30pm to make a court day i have tomorrow. well 6hrs later 10pm traffic/ice/snow was so bad i only made it up to the UW exit. it usually takes 30min to get there. saw a 99 black sixer and blk sn95 gt abondoned on I5. so i knew sooner or later i was toast. and i knew the weather was going to get worse as i get towards everett and whatcoom county. decided to trek back home but not after fishtailing and sliding sideways a few times. snow + mustang= :( took me 3hrs to get home, no chains, no studs, just my toyo's. heard on the news there's was still some people trying to get home from yesterday still.:nonono:

Only took me 1.5 hours to get home last night from DT Bellevue to Kirkland,the traffic was horrible on the edge of town even at 11:30 pm. So much ice and I was spinning the stud tires on my Kia,without them I will be on the side of the road for sure.

It doesn't matter how many-wheel-drive you have in the ice. The insurance companies call them "four wheel sleds" for all the people that think 4wd will allow them to go faster than everyone else in the ice/snow. Those companies have to pay to fix them after the vehicle's made unwanted contact with similar vehicles.

stock50LX said:
It doesn't matter how many-wheel-drive you have in the ice. The insurance companies call them "four wheel sleds" for all the people that think 4wd will allow them to go faster than everyone else in the ice/snow. Those companies have to pay to fix them after the vehicle's made unwanted contact with similar vehicles.
Well I know one thing for sure my 4wd gets a lot better traction then my cobra did and with my toyo mud tires i'll be ready for the snow. But I hear what your saying, what most people dont realize is a 4 wd gets awsome and much better traction when moving then a 2wd but thay all stop same :nice:

The Factor said:
Well I know one thing for sure my 4wd gets a lot better traction then my cobra did and with my toyo mud tires i'll be ready for the snow. But I hear what your saying, what most people dont realize is a 4 wd gets awsome and much better traction when moving then a 2wd but thay all stop same :nice:
exactly... 4wd gets you started from a stop much easier... but it doesnt do **** when you go to stop hehe, its all about the driver, I drove my 98gt through everything we've had the past 5 years and never had a problem, but I'm not scared of ice or snow, and my parents actually made me drive in it when I was learning, people in the nw in general are just idiots when it comes to driving. I mean we get 2 inches of snow on the ground and schools close lol its pathetic.