Been looking at too Long.

Ok, I have been wanting to put new wheels and tires on the Mach.

But keeping it more the Old School style and not these large new rims.

I have measured and thought and measured some more,
till my mind is like jello.

I want to use 15x8in Cragers with 275/60 for the rear.
But keep them tucked inside the wells.

Problem.....The backspace that I need to do that interfears with the rear sway bar.
With the Mag500's on it with 4.5 bs the tires rubbed when cornering,
the Cragers on it now have 4.25 bs and no rub on the sway bar.

I really want to keep the rear bar because it takes the corners like a big go-kart now.:D

My latest idea is cutting down the sway bar in the center to draw the ends
closer to the frame rails. It sticks out 3.5in from the rail to the outside of the bar now.

But cutting the solid bar and welding it has me thinking it will weaken it.
So the idea of putting a coller sleeve over the cut and welding it may help.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
PB

• Sponsors (?)

I think a weld can hold (especially with a sleeve welded around it), but I would recommend making a new bar. If you have a oxy-acetylene torch, you should be able to bend something up without too much problem. Otherwise I'm sure you could find someone local to do it.

Cutting it in the center and rewelding it with a sleeve will work though. Just let it air cool afterward. Heavy truck torsion bars (these center the rear axles) are sodl this way. They come in two halves with a sleeve so they'll fit a wider array of applications.

D.Hearne said:
Cutting it in the center and rewelding it with a sleeve will work though. Just let it air cool afterward. Heavy truck torsion bars (these center the rear axles) are sodl this way. They come in two halves with a sleeve so they'll fit a wider array of applications.

:nice: ... I am leaning toward heat bending the ends to center the link mounting points.

PB