Been trying to decide on heads all day, Need Help!!

NRM90GT

Nov 27, 2005
Boston
I have been searching through posts all day and still can't decide. I am doing a budget rebuild and cannot decide between some used edelbrock performer heads for around $800 shipped or some Thumper heads with the large valves. This is going to continue to be my daily driver. Any input would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

More so than the flow... How much would each scenerio effect your bank account?

Both heads are great but the Edelbrock's have a slight advantage in flow rate. And then there is the weight advantage. You'll shed 50 lbs. off the nose of your car! But this isn't to say that Thumpers heads are slouches. His combo with the proper setup would be killer on the street....

^Ditto^

I think there's a company named Tri-State Cylinder Heads :scratch:
They sell heads for relatively cheap. Just an option.
Their ads are usually in the back pages (black & whites) of our Mustang magazines.

Without any first hand experience I'd be pressed to say anything on the quality of product though. :shrug:

thanks for the replies, basically i want a good flowing head set up that i will not think about changing for years to come. I need a "bolt on" head and i really do not want to spend over $800. I need to get my stang back on the road ASAP, and still need to do the rebuild so..... money is a little tight

NRM90GT, I've been trying to make the same decision myself. Since I'm building strickly a street driven motor that will probably never see any 1/4 mile action, I want durability without any headaches. And since it's going in an F100, I'm looking for something that has good low rpm power as well as a good increase in the mid range to around 4800rpm. Most of the aluminum heads I considered, had larger valves as well as larger intake ports which would, in my case, make it a little lazy in the lower rpms. This may not be much of an issue in a lighter mustang, but I did'nt want to give up anything in the lower rpms in a truck. Once I get the christmas bills paid, I'll probably get a set of ported thumper e7te heads. They sell for a reasonable price and I don't have to deal with the header issues as with the gt40p's. The flow numbers are quite impressive when compared to some aluminum street heads yet the thumpers still have stock size valves. For my situation, it seems like the best of both worlds, the stock valve size should be good for low rpm torque while the port work should give a good boost in the mid to upper rpms.

From what I've heard Thumper's are great...especially when on a budget. BUT.....I've always felt that Edelbrock Performer and Performer RPM Heads are the best bang for the buck. They may be a bit more money, but whats another couple of hundred...wait a bit and save up a bit more money if you can. Not only will you be making more power but your shedding weight at the same time!!!