Beginning to work on converting my car to EFI

Gael

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Tucson, AZ
It has begun. Old intake out, new intake mocked up.

DSCF1364.JPG

DSCF1365.JPG

DSCF1366.JPG

Gonna have to get used to this though...

DSCF1372.JPG

I'll keep adding replies as I make progress. I'll be making backwards progress soon.. intake has to come off, as well as the heads, and radiator.

Attachments

• DSCF1364.JPG
    DSCF1364.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF1365.JPG
    DSCF1365.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1366.JPG
    DSCF1366.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF1372.JPG
    DSCF1372.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Sponsors (?)

Yea, I didn't realize I had it backwards.. supposedly it'll work either way though. We set it up like it is cause my dad thought it made the most sense for the throttle linkage on the TB.. we've only known carbs, so this stuff is all new to us.

My battery will be headed to the trunk either way though, so it could stay how it is, just haven't decided.

In my project, progressing but no pics till I can repair/replace the camera, I found the intake is better routed the opposite of how you are doing it, this allows for the use of 87-95 5.0 stang parts w/ less hassle. You can use the later model mustang throttle cable, throttle cable bracket, ect. By going this route you open up a large source of aftermarket of parts and accessories and reduce fabrication.

what are u using for a wiring harness and computer??
i did a swap for a customer and he swore up and down the comp and harness
was out of a 86-93 mustang 5.0. and that he had a freshened up 302 from the same kind of car.. WRONG .. it was a standard run of the mill marquis 302
which has a different firing order .so the injectors were firing at the wrong
time. so some food for thought,think of all those little details you can like
fuel supply,,wiring,,distributor + gear,,emissions equip (if required),, o2sensor- location,,speed density or mass air flow...and it will go easy..good luck and
keep us up to date:D

Actually the non mustang efi systems are mpfi, not sefi. The only difference is speed density out of the ltd's/grand marque utilitize a MAP sensor, where as the mustang system utilitizes a BAP sensor. Everything else is the same. You do however must use a Mustang computer. The wiring is identical, the cams are not.

This post applies only to Ford EEC-IV systems: Non mustang harnesses can use the mustang (ECU) computer along with a cam that uses the correct firing order. The non mustang harnesses often feature different connectors than their mustang counter parts (except for the ECU connector). I am using a harness pulled from a 91/92 mustang along with a 93 computer. I even have the little extension harness Ford added due to a recall. Unlike most people I am striving for a clean as possible install using as many mustang II and/or off the shelf (Preferably OEM) componants as possible.

I'm using the A9L computer and wiring harness.

I've got the motor down to the short block now.. gotta get new valve springs for my cam. Got most of the major parts ordered, so now it'll just be when I can get to work on it.

I would like to invite everyone who has done this conversion, interested in this conversion, or working on it at this moment to please contribute to, edit, revise, the EFI conversion HOWTO on the wiki. I have just reworked the article and I am about to start adding new material to it myself. Also feel free to contribute to the rest of the wiki (shameless effort to get more involvement).