Best Combo

Robert_68

Aug 18, 2004
Ok guys, brace yourself Im still learning so bear with me, here’s the scenario... I want to make mad power but I want to run N/A. Before you guys start saying engine swap or head work... my car needs to breathe! What I was thinking was beginning from the intake to the lower first (including cai, maf, tb, upper and lower). The thing is I don’t want to buy a tb and then it not fit the upper intake manifold or get a tb for 19 lb injectors and then end up upgrading to 24lbs. Do you guys see what Im trying to say (everything depends on something else)? What combo's do you guys suggest that will give me the most power (please be specific with size of maf and tb size)? THANKS!!! :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

First thing first, its the maf that needs to be calibrated, not the TB, but I think maybe it was just a typing error on your part.

Second off, thats a good start for someone on a budget. Id say have an idea of what you want to do with the car in the future (what heads and cam you plan to go with) that way when you buy your intake and such, you get parts that work well together, and not a hacked up combo.

I would say go with a TFS street heat intake, 70mm TB, 75mm maf, CAI (if you choose) and maybe a set of roller rockers. These parts will compliment the stock motor for now, and will work when you upgrade. The maf can be recalibrated later as well!

Get a 75mm Pro-M MAF (recalibrate it later when upgrading to bigger injectors when you get heads and cam)...FRPP 65mm TB, Edelbrock Performer intake, Cai won't do nothing for you except some "bling-bling"...but go with BBK or Mac,

Then when your ready for heads (this is bias) but get some AFR 165's and a custom cam along with the other parts like head bolts, timing chain, injectors, exhaust, etc...

Yeah get some gears...go with 373's...that will be one of the biggest seat of the pants feelings there will be...

Good Luck

I think a Performer RPMII with a 75mm T-body,80mm Mass Air (Pro-M is nicest imo),cai (like said bbk or mac)30lbs injectors,AFR 185cc with a 58cc camber or Edelbrock Vic. Jr. with the 60cc camber, and a custom cam.

Before you start worrying about the TB and mass air you ought to invest in gears and exhaust if you don't have them. There is a lot more bang for your buck there. Next, if you are going to retain the stock heads I would get a Cobra intake 65 or 70mm TB and probably a 75-80mm pro M....even a 73mm C&L would do.

I went all Ford Motorsport, and I am pushin over 300 to the wheels. Take a look at my combo and see if u like it. Basically combos are you, and what YOU like. But i would keep one thing in mind. When chosing ur combo, try to stick with one brand for everything. It just makes it easier in the end, and everything works better when u are done. Example, go with all FMS, all Trickflow, all Edelbrock, and Holley Systemax has a nice combo setup too. Take a look at the different setups u can get, which one u think looks the best, best fits ur budget, and has the power requirements that best fit what u want for your car. Then build the beast!

I really don't agree with going all one brand for everything. You just need to know what power you want, and where you want to make it, and build from there. The most important part of the motor is the cam. Do research on a cam that fit your needs, and talk to people that sell cams about what you want, i.e FTI, Comp, Crane.... Then I suggest finding a set of heads that will work with the cam you choose, and then an intake to complement the heads you choose. Its hard to build the motor you have now, for a motor you may build later or vice versa. If you install parts that make your 302 run good, and you decide to build a stroker, those parts now may not be good. Think of the future or you will spend way to much money, I am a perfect example. There are a lot of people here that have great combos, you may or may not want to copy someone else that has good results from there combo. I think for now, a set of LT headers, x-pipe, a cat-back of your choice, pullies, 3.73 gears, would make your car run better now, and also work with your future mods, but that is my opinion, and like you have probably all ready read, you are going to get a 100 different poeple telling you to 100 different things. In the end you are the one who has to make the final decision, and live with the final product, so take our suggestions and do all the research you can before you start. I have rambled on to long, now good luck with your decision.

Funanin - I don't believe you will hit 300rwhp with that combo of yours and besides how do you know how much power you have when you don't even got in on your car yet :)

Jo_885o said:
A 5spd GT have you got yours dyno'd yet?

Nope :( ...but I found out where one is...but it is an "import" friendly dyno :nonono: ...besides I'm low on money...

But I am going to the track for the first time next weekend (Nov. 13th) to get an idea of what kind of power is there or isn't there...I can't wait to spin these bald tires over :D My closest local track is 1000' long...not a full 1/4...