Engine Motor is finally running but plugs are black, need some guidance please

Gnfanatic

5 Year Member
Sep 27, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, I hope I did not go the wrong route on this. I am new to the 5.0 world and purchased an 1989 GT and re-built the engine. Thanks to you guys on previous posts I was able to fix a few issues and now it is running. My friend sold me a Pro-M maf sensor that was calibrated for 42 lb injectors, that is obv a large ijector for a NA 302 but I figured the maf sensor would control them. So I have the FP at 39 vac off and my plugs are black and wet, car stalls when going into gear. I do not have a tune on this engine and winter is coming. I am hoping to get the rings seated and alignment done before snow comes. will it help if I lower my FP to say 35 or lower ? any help would be appreciated . I did a idle reset, tps voltage is at 9.72 and timing is stock.

302 NA
AFS streetheat heads
trickslow upper/lower and stage 1 cam
shorties
pro-m maf -42 lbs injectors
adj kirban fp reg on stock rails.

• Sponsors (?)

That tps voltage cant be right. i belive you had a typo. like 0.72 is what it was? if not reset to just under 1.00

I ran 42 lb/hr injectors on a 306 with zero issues but it was tuned. I will say that Pro-M calibrated MAF’s are typically pretty decent. Give them a call and have the info on the MAF ready to double check what the MAF is setup for. I want to say they are even set up for conical and flat panel air filters. Having the filter in the inner fender may also affect things.

You really should fire the motor on a stock MAF and 19 lb/hr injectors with iit not being tuned. You will wash the cylinders out with it running rich and the rings will never seat.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I would guess that your combo would make 300ish rwhp so call it 350 fwhp. With that you would really want a minimum of 24 lb/hr injectors to keep it under 80% of injector duty. The 24 lb/hr injectors (with a 70mm Bullett Pro-M MAF) on the 306 that was in my Coupe years ago were running out of fuel when the car was 290ish rwhp. 30's would have done the trick but I opted for 42's and had the tuner fix it. This was knowing I was going to move to a 302 based stroker down the road. Again, I view calibrated MAF's as a bandaid but lots of folks run them with no issue.

I would recommend that you find a 70+mm MAF with 30 lb/hr injectors and sell what you have. Give you a little room to grow and should work just fine. The flip side of this is you already have what you have so what would a chip and a tune cost you vs. selling what you have and buying something else? Good tuner can make what you have work just fine. I would still call Pro-M and see if you can get the transfer function for the MAF as the tuner will need that.

I would run 24's with an 80mm meter personally.
You can generally get away with maybe one size injector too large without a tune, but 42's are way off.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I'd buy a ford racing EV1 set.
Though that doesn't look quite as easy as it was back in the day.
I think (do look into it) bosch made them for ford, but i could be wrong.
Personally i don't like adapters, so i would change the pigtails if you use a set of EV6.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user