Best Ignition for the Stang

1Slow90coupe

Oct 18, 2005
Hello all. I am interested in upgrading the ignition on my coupe. I have an MSD Blaster coil and MSD 9mm wires. I am interested in a new distributer, and box. I am curious as to the best choice. Can I use a digital ignition? I know most of the ones I see around have an MSD 6AL. Is there something better out there? I like the idea of adjusting , instead of changing out RPM pills. It seems that the digital ignitions run out at around 4k rpm...what's up with that? Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

mine has a 6al and pro bilet to . my friends with the same set up pulled the coil wire of and the car was still running the fire was running up the side of the coil into the plug. thats a lot of spark:nice:

also have a fiend that works in the local speed shop he said not to use mallory distributors they have some kind of module in them that goes bad and cost a lot to fix

Is there a particular reason everyone runs MSD? Is there a better option? I don't have any problems with MSD, but my experience is limited, and just looking for the best option.

Unless you are running a very high horsepower combo there is really not much reason to run expensive MSD stuff IMO, other than maybe for a Rev limiter if you are at the track a lot. I may get flamed for saying that but in a non superchared/turbo'd/nitrous'd Fox with a 302 you are just as well off with off the shelf stuff from Carquest, their Bluestreak stuff is pretty cheap and is made very well.

msd is not the greatest in teh world. when aem came out with their programmable ecu msd was found to have very bad tolerances. i would try a different company just based of what research i have done into the msd branding and what products you are actually getting!

Unless you are running a very high horsepower combo there is really not much reason to run expensive MSD stuff IMO, other than maybe for a Rev limiter if you are at the track a lot. I may get flamed for saying that but in a non superchared/turbo'd/nitrous'd Fox with a 302 you are just as well off with off the shelf stuff from Carquest, their Bluestreak stuff is pretty cheap and is made very well.

I run Nitrous, and at a minimum I am interested in getting a Capacitive Discharge box. I want more spark, and the built in Rev limiter.

who said digitals run out at 4k? and why?

I was reading through some of the decriptions in the latest Summit catalog July-Aug 07 Edition.

Example: Accel digital ignition says muti strike sparks up to 2500 RPM,

Summit Brand: strongest spark below 3000 RPM.

I am just looking for the best option. I will pay the extra money in order to avoid problems. I cannot stand to buy things twice.

what the hell are you guys talking about the MSD Digital 6-plus box running out at 4k?

I run/ran the following(swapping to bigger/badder motor)
MSD Digital 6-Plus box
MSD 8.5mm wires
MSD Blaster 2 Coil
MSD Pro Billet distributor
Autolite plugs

All on a H/C/I car with 24# Injectors.

Anyways, i had my rev limiter twisted to 5,500rpm to be safe.
the car pulled like a monster up to 5,500. and never exceeded it.

The Digital box ran awesome for me, never gave me a single problem.
And revved and pulled hard to what i set it at.

So, dont diss it:Zip2:

DDEREK

I think you misunderstood....It was posed as a question about the 4k run out. I am looking for specific information as to why everyone seems to run MSD.

In your case you ran a Digital 6, Dizzy, Coil, and Wires all from MSD. Was there a specific reason you chose that, or did you just go with the flow like everyone else an pick MSD? Don't get me wrong I have MSD Wires and Coil also. There was no reason why I picked them other than going with the flow. Now it is time for a box an dizzy. I have heard of problems from Mallory Dizzy's. Just looking for the best I can get.

Some people say they have problems with MSD's boxes crapping out on them, and time after time i notice the same thing...they mounted the box inside the engine bay. While you may think its all well and good, the heat in there KILLS the electronics in the box. My dad has had an MSD 6AL in his Chevelle for over 15 years mounted under the dash, and hasnt had a single problem. He also runs an MSD Digital 6 or 7 (cant remember) in his Nova, and has had no problems with it. He also runs an MSD Pro Billet dizzy in both cars, and has had no problems. My buddy had an MSD 6A in his '90 347 hatch, and had no problems either. Reguardless of the box you choose, just mount it inside the car to prevent any problems that could potentially occur.