Best location for a wideband O2

ritc

Oct 5, 2006
What would be the place to put in a wideband O2 to get the most accurate reading on a h-pipe/x-pipe system for a stang? Or is there one that usually runs leaner?

I am coming from a FWD V6 2 to 1 y-pipe setup which was a no brainer, I just dont like the idea that the wideband would only be on one side, but I see many examples like this when searching, so is there really no harm?

Also where can I purchase a PMS tuner? After some reading I decided I eventually wanted to go with a PMS tuner and PLX R300 wideband kit, I just cant seem to find any links on where to purchase a PMS.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure someone will point out if I'm completely wrong, but couldnt you run 2 O2 sensors (one on each bank) wired to an "on-off-on" switch so you can switch back and forth between monitoring either bank?

I'm sure you could but I don't think that it's necessary.

I have mine mounted in the right bank (the richer bank as millhouse suggested). All that is required is that I be mindful of that. When I tune, I tune .1 - .2 richer than what is indicated to ensure that I'm not starving the leaner left bank.

The REASON why I installed it in the right bank was because that is the place that I found that made it easiest for installation. I can get to the sensor if I need to.... The sensor is correctly clocked so that it does NOT sit at the 6 O'clk position... I was able to find easy access wire routing through one of the rubber grommets going through the pass side floor board.

The bottom line is to plan out your install before eyou mount the sensor so you know how it will all be run.

interceptor7 said:
I'm sure someone will point out if I'm completely wrong, but couldnt you run 2 O2 sensors (one on each bank) wired to an "on-off-on" switch so you can switch back and forth between monitoring either bank?

You could…but is the extra expense really worth it? Actually, the innovative wideband that I have self calibrates and warms up every time I turn the car on. The process takes a several seconds…and flipping the switch would effectively turn one on and the other off while the vehicle is running. You are not supposed to have the wideband 02 hooked up and not running as it can damage the unit itself.

Anyways, If you know which bank is the leaner…then that should always be the worst case. Monitoring the "richer" bank then really wouldn’t be necessary…unless you had a way to tune each bank individually.

millhouse said:
You could…but is the extra expense really worth it? Actually, the innovative wideband that I have self calibrates and warms up every time I turn the car on. The process takes a several seconds…and flipping the switch would effectively turn one on and the other off while the vehicle is running. You are not supposed to have the wideband 02 hooked up and not running as it can damage the unit itself.

Anyways, If you know which bank is the leaner…then that should always be the worst case. Monitoring the "richer" bank then really wouldn’t be necessary…unless you had a way to tune each bank individually.
NP. I was just thinking in a (fictional!) "I have all this extra money to burn" mode.

thehueypilot said:
Mine is also on the right side but mounted in the end of the long tube header collector in the 3 o'clock position. I did not know one side was leaner than the other but I guess I could move it to the other side to confirm?

It's only an issue if you tune right on the ragged edge.