best replacement fuel pump after 20yrs!!!!

racer_inboston

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2002
boston, ma
my 1990 mustang gt: So my fuel pump is dead after 20yrs and 146k.I have minor mods and ran good with stocker pump, so what is a good replacement pump? I know the 88-90 stock pump works hard and its best to slip a 110 in there, but which brand will last? been reading about bosch having the best reputation with their turbine design internals, however I'd like some feed back from my fellow mustang members for v8 cars that have MINOR mods, such as full exhaust ram air pullies and rear end gears. I dont plan on supercharging her or anything of the sort, just a full restore.

thanks guys/gals!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 255 BBK its lasted me 4 years already it was easy to install. I definitely didn't need a pump this big but I bought it in case I did modify my mustang drastically in the future. It works well I haven't had a problem but I'm not a big fan of BBK in general though.

I have a 255 BBK its lasted me 4 years already it was easy to install. I definitely didn't need a pump this big but I bought it in case I did modify my mustang drastically in the future. It works well I haven't had a problem but I'm not a big fan of BBK in general though.

going with a 255 is to high for my settup, plus it would require a fuel pump regulator and I dont plan on doing any more engine mods.

going with a 255 is to high for my settup,

True, but in the return-style setup these cars use, going big doesn't necessarily hurt.

plus it would require a fuel pump regulator

Not true.

and I dont plan on doing any more engine mods.

Honestly, then, a quality stock replacement pump would work. If you don't plan on any more power in the future, there isn't much sense in spending the extra coin on an aftermarket one.

I consider doing a fuel pump a pain in the ass so get a 255lph and be done with it, will cover almost any upgrades you throw at it aside from large hp applications. And above poster is right you can't go too big of a fuel pump on these cars because they are a return type system any unused gas circulates back to the tank to be used again. I bought my holly a couple of years ago for 80 bucks for a 255lph.

Gotcha. Taking the tank down was cake, got a holley 155 part# 12-912 and a motorcraft filter along with a new ford sendign unit. there is a lil rust in the tank, but I figured which one of usd doesnt? flash rust apperas even in new cars thanks to the enviro-friendly new mixes in gasoline these days....