Best street tires to get on ponies?

catman4115

Sep 9, 2005
Rhode Island
I wanted a tire that would hook up well with my combination. Im running about 350rwhp and just got mm control arms. I wanted to know which tires would give me the best trackion for launches while providing decent treadwear. I was looking at Goodyear F1 GS-D3 , Dunlop SP Sport Maxx or Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, BFG KDWS or anything else you can reccomend. On the rear I was planning to go with 225/50/16 or 245/50/16. Any input would be greatly appriciated. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I am looking at the BF Goodrich g-force sport for my car. I have 8 inch rims so I am looking at 225's in front and 255's in back. There really is not to many tires available and with the stock ponies I would think a 245 would be the widest. I had some luck with the nitto 450's as well but I was about 120 horses shy when I had those. .

I would stay away from those if you are looking to hook up. My 88 is moderatly upgraded, I have no idea how much power I am putting down...but if I had to guess I would say in the 250 range. I have 225/55/16 G Force Sports on mine and they don't grip for ****. I have urethane bushings in both rear control arms, the lowers are tubular Steeda, and the uppers are boxed/reinforced Steeda. I can't get those to grip for anything.

I have my pressure set low and on the street they don't stop spinning. If I stomp on the gas at 3500k in 3rd, they break loose.

I don't think the extra width would help that much more, especially when you are putting down almost twice the power I am. I would go with a good drag radial if you want to grip on the street.

Just my opinion.

I heard the Kumho Ecsta MX are good tires. People have said they are about as good as you can get for street or road racing without buying a designated tire. Treadwear is on the low side (180) but that will give you the traction. To be honest I don't think it is possible to get great traction with a street tire while retaining a high treadwear #. Just my 2 cents...