wheels and tires, ponies or no ponies?

• Sponsors (?)

Pony R's would be nice if you can get them. Seems like they are on backorder forever.

I picked up an outstanding set of OE Pony wheels yesterday I will probably go with the 245/50-16's in the BFG G-Force Sport at all four corners. Any feedback on those tires? Does 245 vs 225 make that big of a difference in handling? Some posts say the 225 handles better due to a better sidewall relationship with the rim size. I just hope there is not any rubbing on my B springed 89 Hatch!

Mahfiveoh. I like the looks of your car. Any issues with rubbing? How much is your car lowered?

I had em, same size and everything and LOVED em!!! GREAT street tire, hooked up really well on my bolton 302. I used them in a 275 size on some 17s when I went HCI and loved them as well. I will be running a new set 245/50/16 again here shortly!
Matt

I like 245/50's for the rear on stock Ponies. I think it gives it a tough look. However, I prefer a smaller tire for the front. My '90 currently has 225/55-front and 245/50-rear. In keeping with the current theme of the car I eventually want to add these:

View attachment 226227

ill advised those are nice wheels and on the right colored fox they look sick. I seen the same wheel on a red fox and it looked great. I'm still a believer of " go with what you want ". Ponies look great on some not so good on others, like Shaolin Crane for example couldn't see it with ponies but the cobras work well with it. I can get a brand new set of FRPP cobra r's for really cheap and when I finish my rear disc swap I think it will look good and the price was right. I was going to go pony r but I think I'll go this route. if no one likes it, oh well that's life.

ill advised those are nice wheels and on the right colored fox they look sick. I seen the same wheel on a red fox and it looked great. I'm still a believer of " go with what you want ". Ponies look great on some not so good on others, like Shaolin Crane for example couldn't see it with ponies but the cobras work well with it. I can get a brand new set of FRPP cobra r's for really cheap and when I finish my rear disc swap I think it will look good and the price was right. I was going to go pony r but I think I'll go this route. if no one likes it, oh well that's life.
I hear ya. I only posted the pic as a sidebar to something I'm interested in. I definitley don't have anything against Cobra R's. I've always liked them and still do (especially 5-lug). Moreso for GT's. Like you said, if it works for you go for it. :nice:

Does anybody know where I can get some 16x8 or 16x9 pony replicas or pony r's in 4 lug? It would really make my day :D

If 16x9 are available would they be ok with 245/50/16 tires, or would 16x8 be a better fit? 16x9 would probably rub?

245/50's on stock pony's.

PICT1106.jpg

Hmm, I've never seen or heard of 16x8/9" Ponies. If there are any out there they're probably custom one-offs.

I guess I should just wait until I need tires again. Right now I have 245/50/16s. The bulge isn't really bad but I would like the added support of a wider wheel. Next time I need new tires I'll order some 245/45/17 and then get 17x8 pony r's.

I definitely want to stick with a pony style wheel though.

I guess I should just wait until I need tires again. Right now I have 245/50/16s. The bulge isn't really bad but I would like the added support of a wider wheel. Next time I need new tires I'll order some 245/45/17 and then get 17x8 pony r's.

I definitely want to stick with a pony style wheel though.
Yep, same here. I'm partial to the Pony wheels but I always wanted something wider. Mavromont is pretty much the only place making Pony wheels in different sizes.