Wheels-Tires Best tires to run in cold climate areas.

Discussion in '2010 - 2014 Specific Tech' started by Jaret, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Jaret

Jaret New Member

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone has some experience with this subject. I live in Canada and during the summer when the sun sets the temperature drops off quite a bit, I put GT500 rims and tires on my stock 2013 5.0 and they have the stock goodyear eagle f1 supercar tires on them, I find that they are very hard to hook up in 1st through 2nd gear, it tends to spin through the majority of first and maybe 1/4 of second gear. I am looking at putting on a set of Nitto NT555R drag radials... they are 305/35/20 and call for a minimum 10" rim to mount them on, I believe the gt500 rims are 9.5" on the rear...

Any other suggestions or experiences would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.,

Attached Files:

2. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Same tires on my GT500. They stink in the cold. In fact, Goodyear tells you not to run them in temps less than 40 degrees F.

The go-t0 tire for all of the guys running the 13 GT500s are Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They seem to vastly improve the traction, and don't appear to have cold temp issues. I doubt they'll be any good in snow, if that's what you're looking for. I've heard good things about Continentals for an all-season.

You're definitely going to have to widen your rims to run 315s.

3. Ronin38

Ronin38 Mustang Master

What kind of "cold" temps are you talking about? If it's regularly around 0*C or lower, I'd go at least with all-seasons, or maybe even snow tires (if you're going to get caught in the snow occasionally with it). I've heard very good reports on the Conti. Extreme Contact DWS tires. :)

4. Jaret

Jaret New Member

The car will not be seeing any snow, I will generally be driving it from June to October... I would say on average the evening temperature would be around 10-15°C with not too many nights with warmer temperatures, there were very few warm nights last summer where the tires would grip under hard acceleration.

5. Ronin38

Ronin38 Mustang Master

Oh... I thought 10-15*C was "warm" for Canadians! :D

6. Jaret

Jaret New Member

I guess 10-15°C is warm for a Canadian night, but still not good for traction,