Best way to shift an AOD?

bad98rt

Mar 27, 2006
Indiana
I recently picked up a 93 mustang with a built Aod. The Aod has a shift kit, lentech valve body, and a 2800 stall convertor with a stock shifter.

I have heard of different methods of shifting the aod. What opinions/methods would you guys suggest using in the 1/4?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i would just let the trans do the shifting.....ive heard of people doing a 1-D-1 shift....but i dont see that helping any in a trans that has a valve body and stall converter. if you really want to shift it get a manual valve body

1-D-1= no more OD. Ask me how I know.

The best thing to do is just let it shift itself. If you want firmer shifts or to adjust the shift point get a nice shift kit. That and a higher RPM stall converter make them a whole different car.

With a Lentech VB you could just let it shift by itself and that will give you a nice run down the 1/4 mile. You could manual shift it if you have a aftermarket shift light or tach to give you more control,the Lentech Vb are set up firm and shift around 5500rpm in high gear. Don't know what other mods or read gear you have ,but 2800 stall seems a little high there for a street car.

my car has a built up AOD but stock valvebody and shifter...I use the 1-D-1 method because thats the only way to get it in the powerband. Im sure its not good for it but it hasnt hurt anything yet and ive been doing it for a year now.

pretty simple and its just as it says...start out in 1...floor it....when your ready for second gear shift into D and immediatly put the shifter back into 1.....that will alow you to hold out second gear...shift into D when your ready for third.... if that sounded confusing maybe someone else could explain it better

I recently picked up a 93 mustang with a built Aod. The Aod has a shift kit, lentech valve body, and a 2800 stall convertor with a stock shifter.

I have heard of different methods of shifting the aod. What opinions/methods would you guys suggest using in the 1/4?

Thanks

Your post says you have a "shift kit" and a "lentech VB" which is it?

A shift kit is basically a series of seperator plates designed to reroute the fluid through the stock VB for firmer shifts.

Most Lentech VB's allow you to control your shifts and to hold 2nd without doing the 1-d-1 shuffle. Plus you can turn OD on and off with a switch.

A 2800 stall isnt bad at all. I run a 3200 without issue.

The guy that I bought it from said it had a shift kit and a lentech VB. I have little knowledge about valve bodies. That might explain why it seems like I can run a quarter mile in only 1st and 2nd. Although OD shifts sloppy and hard if I am just crusing and not high in the Rpm's.

You prolly feel like that because you most likely still have the stock 2.73 gears in the car.

I think Lentech makes a VB called the street cruiser that does not feature a OD delete, but all the others do.

If you dont have a button or switch somewhere that allows you to turn OD on and off, you most likely dont have a Lentech VB and prolly just a shift kit.

Here is a link to Lentech that may help you determine what you have.
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html

There are 3 switches in the center near the ash tray that were for the Nos when it was hooked up. I tracked 2 back that dont go anywhere and 1 I havent took the time to run it back that seems to go towards the engine. Also the gear in it is a 3.55.

while on the subject, i looked at an LX last spring and the guy said that it had a shift kit but there was no OD... could this have been his mistake or do they make kits that eliminate OD? i didnt think to ask the seller.

I did the shuffle once, mostly out of curiousity. It definitely made a difference but there was still the sliding into gear that I had a problem with. The shift kit made the car alot more fun to drive hard......ok and the gear to. I would love to get a full manual style VB like the Art Carr.

while on the subject, i looked at an LX last spring and the guy said that it had a shift kit but there was no OD... could this have been his mistake or do they make kits that eliminate OD? i didnt think to ask the seller.
Although there are VB kits that allow you to set OD to a switch, this doesn't sound like the case. There's likely no overdrive because he roasted the OD band. lol You definitely don't want to eliminate OD on a street car.