BFG tire differences

Well, my tires suck as i'm not that far from stock and i can spin em through 2nd and chirp them into third...and thats just from a first gear punch. So i am debating between some nittos or bfg's. Well there are so many types of BFGs I'm a bit confused. I have seen the KDW, Traction T/A HR, KDWS, and sports. What are all the differences? Last, is it ok to put the 275/40/17 on my 8" rims? Or should i stick with the 245s?

• Sponsors (?)

That post is a little confusing...are you saying the KDW2 are better for daily driving? Why? My mustang rarely sees average miles. I live about 4 miles away from work and an occasional trip to walmart. I go about 6000 miles/year. I just want some good traction on the street and I'm between bfg and nitto.

I've had my KDWS tires for the last 6 months, and I have got to say they are well worth the money, kind of hard to believe they are an all-season tire. I would need a very strong reason to buy something else. That said, if you aren't driving your car in cold, snowy weather, you don't need them.

The KDW tire is great in warm weather, but don't try to drive it through a cold winter except on dry days, as the tread compound is truly not made for cold weather. Until the tires warm up, even 40F is a little too cold for them - traction will suck, especially with gears. I can light them up from a 30 roll with a stock 03 GT on a cold day on clean, dry pavement. You'll be wearing off rubber with no benefit. On the plus side your friends will be convinced your car is a monster :)

AFAIK, the KDW2 doesn't come in 245/45/17.

IMHO, you might as well buy the KDWS over the Traction TA, as the price difference for the whole car is a whopping $30 from tirerack.com.

Any reputable tire shop will refuse to mount anything wider than a 245 on 8" rims, as a 245 is really the widest that will fit. Some shady independent shops might, but when the tire comes off the bead on a cloverleaf, you'll be paying, not them. And if you've ever seen a set of 275's next to bare 8" rims, you wouldn't be asking lol :)

with the kind of miles you put on your car and the traction problem your having, i would recommend you go with the bfg drs. i have them on mine and they hook like crazy, best tire ive ever used. ive got about a 1500 miles on them and they have hardly any wear. they corner good also. just my .02 cents.

i use the bfg dr's as well they hook nice , nitto's are decent for the street as well a bit more treadlife than the bfg's but im about traction :)

as far as 275's on stock rims. i had 275's on my 02 gt rims spraying 150 shot and never had a tire fall off /shrug

Any reputable tire shop will refuse to mount anything wider than a 245 on 8" rims, as a 245 is really the widest that will fit. Some shady independent shops might, but when the tire comes off the bead on a cloverleaf, you'll be paying, not them. And if you've ever seen a set of 275's next to bare 8" rims, you wouldn't be asking lol :)

I've never seen any shop anywhere that wouldn't put a 275/40 on an 8" rim, including a half-dozen Discount Tires and Firestones. Tire pressure is much more important than a slightly over-sized tire. I've put close to 200K miles on different sets of 8" rims all with 245/45 up front and 275/40 out back.

You'll be fine with a 275/40 on there, just don't plan on that being your salvation as to your traction issues. The type of tire makes much more difference than the slight size difference.

Well, let me rephrase...i cant find them on discount tire sites. Are these the new ones that you speak of? http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=129&DEPARTMENT_ID=93

What are these ones? http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...+tires&N=700+115+4294904730&Ntk=KeywordSearch

And these are the regular ones, correct? http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?BFG-222368

yea the last link you have is the ones i use, i guess i should of not said slick in the center. sorry . but they hook well . careful bigtime in the rain tho.. be real careful its not real bad on wet streets but if it's raining kinda hard watch out