Black Carpet that doesn't turn Purple

CraigMBA

Mar 24, 2007
Orange, CA
shifterhole.jpg

(Note the difference in color on the left side of the wires and where the shifter boot goes)

This isn't mine, but it might as well be.

My car's carpet has sat outside a grand total of like 30 days in the 10 years I've owned it. Most of that was at car shows. Imagine my suprise when I pulled out the seats and floormats and found :lol:

ACC made my carpet kit. Does anyone make one that doesn't turn purple like this? With the AC in it's a real bite to change it.

Attachments

• shifterhole.jpg
    shifterhole.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Sponsors (?)

I used to have that problem with the carpet, back when I had my '66 fastback. I redyed it a few times, and the "purple haze" would return.

Finally, the last time I dyed it, I also tinted the windows. The purple haze didn't return after that.

The stock carpet replacement is 80/20 nylon rayon mix, the rayon fades bad thus the purple. Most vendors including ACC offer 100% nylon but off course it's not "stock" so people tend to shy away from it in lieu of the oem stuff.

Bottom line, buy nylon stuff and also consider a cut pile carpet as it looks more lush in a restomod and cleans up easier than loop.

i know a guy that runs an uplstery shop after my vert did that in 1 year i had him put in some marine grade carpet looks pretty good (better than the acc stuff did) and 2 years later its still black as it was the first day i pullde the seats and sill plates he made the carpet fit and i put it all back together he charged me 125 he probally would of charged 150-175 for anyone else though