Black centered caps ?

Turbo II

Founding Member
Nov 19, 2000
Alberta, Canada
On the '77 I just bought, one of the center caps has a black center with two silver stripes. Basically it's like a "starburst" center except black instead of red (for the styled steel rims) I've never seen one like it before, any idea what it is off of?

Mustang, Pinto, Bobcat, Capri..? :shrug:

I would love to find 3 more but have no idea where to look.

Francis

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo II said:
On the '77 I just bought, one of the center caps has a black center with two silver stripes. Basically it's like a "starburst" center except black instead of red (for the styled steel rims) I've never seen one like it before, any idea what it is off of?

Mustang, Pinto, Bobcat, Capri..? :shrug:

I would love to find 3 more but have no idea where to look.

Francis

Sounds like 80's fox stang "turbine" wheelcover center. Someone may have swapped the insert. BTW, how is that spinner project going?

jshcobra said:
Sounds like 80's fox stang "turbine" wheelcover center. Someone may have swapped the insert. BTW, how is that spinner project going?

Hmmm, possible but if it was swapped they did an absolutely perfect job. Cap looks identical on the inside and none of the mounting tabs have been touched :shrug:

Here's a pic of the cap beside a standard one, part numbers cast on the back are the same (D6EA-1A096) except it is marked "R7" while the red one has R6"?

blackcap.jpg

The spinner project is half done, I've decided to stick with chrome ones so I'm still looking for two more centers in nice shape. Not a big rush, I expect it will be at least another year before the car leaves the garage :D They do look great on the deep slotted rims :cool:

Francis

CobraIILover said:
Ford used a "rallye" type rim that looked like a Magnum 500 just painted silver instead of chrome on some of the Torino/Cougars in the mid 70s. I bet that's a cap off one of those.

And gold spokes on some Granadas with 4-wheel disc.

But the caps illustrated have the 4 bumps that line up with the spokes from what I can see. There is a black centered cap listed as 3 1/8" with D7ZZ 1130 A (Red is D6FZ 1130C)