Blew my 01 with a supercharger in 200 miles????

hotmustang331 said:
Im going to say that the car had weak rings/a weak ring to begin with (very low compression)....and 12 PSI just jacked everything up. I mean most people can hit 330RWHP with just 6PSI...12 should be well over 400. Something had to be wrong with that engine.

or a broken ring land, which can go undetected for a while.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like to me detonation killed the engine because of a horrible tune.
Also I belive running 12 psi. on a stock engine with no intercooler or aftercooler is just running on barrowed time really.Sounds like you or
your friend is going to need a built short block. :nonono:

GDawg said:
I bought the kit from KB with the 90mm MAF. So they tuned it for that and my 75mm TB and their air box.

I'll be doing the install. Do I need to take it for a tune? Or just the Dyno?

I'm assuming this is the chip I got from KB (with a switch for street or track).

KBK10.jpg

Again, I don't mean to highjack this thread but I think it's relative.

:SNSign:

You going to Mile Hi Dyno in Englewood?

Attachments

• KBK10.jpg
    KBK10.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 81
Boost is a measurement of backpressure on the intake valve - that's it. "How much boost is safe?" questions have no real answer because what REALLY matters is cylinder pressure. Too much cylinder pressure will kill a stock motor. You can run 12# of boost on a poorly flowing engine and make low power. You can run 4# of boost on a terrific flowing engine design and make BIG power if AIRFLOW - the real indicaotr is high. Case in point a stock '06 3v Mustang we tuned a few weeks ago made 396 RWHP on 3.9# of boost with a Saleen twin screw blower and LTs (and fuel upgrades) - that's because of the great airflow in the new motors. Try to run 3.9# of boost on a stock '96 2v and see what kind of power you get. Stick a potato in a blower's car exhuast and you could get 20# of boost, but power wouldn't increase.

RWHP is a pretty decent indicator of what your limits should be - on a stock lower end 2v about 380RWHP. After that, it becomes a time bomb. No tune in the world can overcome cylinder pressure limits of rods and pistons and cranks - unless of course if it's a detune.

That said, the car WAS making on the low side of HP -and should have been OK - but the low power also tells me the motor probably was hurt going into it. Who knows what could have happened - a stuck injector? an injector not firing? Easy to miss because the bung on one side will average the 4 cylinders on that bank - maybe the Wide Band wasn't on the same bank as the bad injector if there was one. Could have been a LOT of things wrong that would cause that - broken ring, bad rod, using a tank of crap gas accidently, and others.

The bottom line is when you add a blower, either you expect and live with occasional bad things that happen or leave it stock. It's really that simple. We had a PT 88 turbo lock up today running True Street at the NMCA race - who knows why it did it, but we gotta pay to fix it. It's 3 months old. I hate it, but it's part of the game. I could see if there was clear incompetence on the part of the tuner, but there wasn't from what I've read - an AFR of 11.9 is fine for that power level - 12.0 would be OK too. Should be richer for more HP or a heavier vehicle. It's not one size fits all.

I am sorry the motor broke - it's never a fun thing to have happen....

Just my $.02

Don