Blown head gasket should I mill out o ringed heads

snakebite

Founding Member
Dec 18, 1999
Hampton Ga
I have water in my oil and am pretty sure that I blew a head gasket even though the heads are o-ringed. I have dished out pistons and like 8 to 8 compression. So I was thinking about milling out my heads a lil; I have edelbrocks with huge 62 cc combustion cambers. I was thinking about 60 to 58 cc with 12 to 14 psi of boost. How much do u think I will have to take off to get rid of the groves cut into the heads. And what headgaskets go u guy reccommend for blown apps. Anyone no where I can send my heads to get them cnc ported? And one last question I haven't done my compression check yet is there any other possible sorces of water other than headgasket?

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't seen you in here n awhile! Ofcourse I haven't been in here as much either.

I'd def. say it was a headgasket if you have coolant in your oil, as far as milling your heads you should be fine onsidering you have the 62cc heads. I've heard of some people cutting o-ring grooves deeper than others so the guy doing the milling would be your best bet on that one.
What do you think you did to pop a lockwire gasket?
Goodluck man and most def. get those heads ported while there off!

Chris

Let me get this straight: You want to mill the o-ring lands out of the heads? I'm well aware of raising the compression (btw, did you mean 8:1 or 8.8:1?) by milling the heads, but considering the O-ring head gaskets last longer under boosted applications (milling the heads will put even MORE strain on them by boosting the CR), why would you want to get rid of them?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend raising the CR (especially if it's at 8.8:1) with the boost you're running. I'm sure that it'd work fine but reliability will be a concern as well as detonation (especially during the summer months, and summer is coming my friend). I'd swap the head gaskets with some good O-ring gaskets from Felpro (I've always had good luck with Felpro's products) and call it a day.

If you blew a gasket, it probably got hot. Since the heads are aluminum, I'd also recommend having a machine shop check them for true and if necessary, mill as little as possible off.

To be honest with you I barely drive the car and it has had overheating problems since it was rebuilt. I think the guy who did the work for me screwed something up so I'm going to do it myself this time. It does not det. at all and have never heard it do so since the 42 lb injectors and 2 255 ltr fuel pumps. And I am not real sure of the overall compression ratio I have j/e premium piston with a the dish and 62 cc heads so I would defintaly say its on down there. I was running around 16 psi of boost but for very short periods. It only has about 5000 miles since it was rebuilt I drive it maybe 1500 a year. I am going to pulley down to a 12 to 14 psi. The car is a total dog with out the blower due to the low compression. Eades I have'nt been on in awhile man have'nt really been messing with the car much lately have actually been thinking about selling it but I don't think I can bring myself to do it. When I do bust into the engine I am going to add a fluidyne radiator and maybe holley intake depends on my $$$. I really think I want to get rid of the o-rings bring compression up a lil bit and lower the boost. An maybe finally get a tune on it. Sorry for the long post.