Blown HG Pics Questions???

• Sponsors (?)

all this talk about boost and blown HG just makes me cringe. Ive been lucky so far but I guess mine is tunned good enough for now and the fact that I cant get it past 4,200-4,500 under hard acceleration b/c of the clutch before it slips. Also it still back fires out the exhust when I do get on it so I guess its getting enough fuel :D

Oddly enough I usually thought that "Mocha oil shake" meant blown HG for sure. I dumped my oil this morning and it was black and thick as a normal oil change. It was not the funky flavor it usually has been. So I guess that just checking the dipstick is not always a sure sign that a HG is gone. However the thick rock concert smoke effect is a definite sign! :D

94SC50 said:
So I guess that just checking the dipstick is not always a sure sign that a HG is gone. However the thick rock concert smoke effect is a definite sign! :D

So true. When mine went the first time not only did I do a James Bond smoke screen but I covered a brand new Infiniti G35 in hot steaming coolant water. G35 didn't even have a plate yet (paper tag). That should up the resale value.

I pulled it apart on Friday night and it took me about 3 hours at a regular pace.
Sunday I went out @ 3pm and started cleaning the heads, intake and block in about 2 hours and then started polishing stuff while I had it off. I buttoned it all up at 9pm exept installing the H-pipe to the headers. This morning I added coolant, oil and connected the pipe and had it running in an hour. So about 10-11 hours total. If I wasn't so damn meticulous and picky I could prob do the whole job in about 8 hours straight through. The longest part is cleaning all the stuff thoroughly for me and everything else just follows in easy sequences now. I am at the point I no longer need a Chilton's manual anymore for torque specs, firing order, etc. It has become second nature to me now and doesn't seem like a lot of work. It's just time consuming and the time flies by before you know it. I have to say w/out a garage I would be hurting bad. I used to live in an apt. on the 3rd floor and having a place to leave chit laying around is a absolute help in the whole process. :nice: