Blowzilla or a good H/C/I swap?

ms93gt said:
What is better on gas, hci or kb?

I don't want this to be a "bias" answer but if you get a nicely matched h/c/i combo it will give you a better increase in mpg IMO. I gained 3-4mpg better with mine and I don't drive it just easy...I got 24mpg (untuned) a few weeks back...I average 21-22mpg in mixed driving. With the KB you will be in boost quite often like Dagger pointed out...

Edit: I think a 327 geared AOD would be nice with a KB h/c/i car...with a decent stall...I bet it would launch nicely :)

• Sponsors (?)

check the sig...

A well matched h/i/c setup can equal a blower/stock motor combo when done right :shrug:

To each his own. If I were to build another 5.0 I would probably go with the blower first then add the h/i/c later. With the blower the car still has the stock driveability and goes like hell when you stomp on it.

Some things I know. My car put down 288 hp and 350 lbs/tq. at the wheels with my Blowzilla at 8 lbs. I think everything is in my sig. but at the time it was with 30 lb injectors, stock heads, stock lower intake, and the infamous AOD. It ran a 13.11 on slicks at like 106 or 108 with 3.73's.
It now has a 3550 in it and 42lb injectors, and 3.27's among probably some other things. No new numbers yet though. It has to be more enjoyable on the street than a centri because you can feel the boost so much more often not having to let it build as the rpm's do. Gas mileage is at probably 12 or 13 all around, but it will still hit 20+ on the highway. I would not trade my pms or my wideband for the world with this setup as they are invaluable tools. I'm thinking it might go around 320 hp to the wheels as it is setup now, which is plenty to live with and daily drive as I do. My heads are the only thing keeping me from probably having 400 to the wheels, as I would benefit from the heads alone and be able to turn up the boost. You definitely need to be on top of the tune with these blowzilla's. Good luck on your decision and if you want to know anything more about my combo, just ask. Oh yeah, Daggar I e-mailed you.

Sorry, my sig went back to the old one with the stangnet crash. I had it updated back to my old car once. It is a 92 GT with the blowzilla, 1.7 cobra roller rockers, 80mm pro-m with an Anderson power pipe, 75 mm accufab throttle body, 42's, t-rex and a 190 in-tank.

5spd GT said:
I don't want this to be a "bias" answer but if you get a nicely matched h/c/i combo it will give you a better increase in mpg IMO. I gained 3-4mpg better with mine and I don't drive it just easy...I got 24mpg (untuned) a few weeks back...I average 21-22mpg in mixed driving. With the KB you will be in boost quite often like Dagger pointed out...

Edit: I think a 327 geared AOD would be nice with a KB h/c/i car...with a decent stall...I bet it would launch nicely :)

Based on personal experience, around town... I could easily agree with that. My in-town mileage prior to installing the KB was better. Granted, I'm putting down considerably more power now than I was before the KB. The highway is a different story. Higher gears and lower RPM are what I give the better gas mileage credit to.

In fairness to those that are considering a KB, my daily drive to work barely allows the engine time to get to operating temperature. The 180* t-stat that I had install to keep the blower happy in combination with my short commute probably has a lot to with it (my lead foot certainly doesn't help either :p ).

I am aniticipating a change in my in-town fuel comsumption though. As it is now, I'm running 24lb injectors along with an FMU to satisfy the fuel requirement. We're all pretty well aware that fuel pressures much above or below 40 psi do not offer an ideal spray pattern. Hard on the gas, I often see fuel pressures around the 90 psi range. So... swapping over to 42 lb injectors along with a custom tune through a TwEECer should provide me at least "some" additional fuel economy. Time will tell. At the very least, the pressure will be right in range for optimum spray pattern. With the injector break points correctly set inthe TwEECer for 42 lbers, the thing should be bit happier about fuel consumption. I expect it to be a lot more precise than slapping in a meter calibrated for 42s and relying on the stock fuel curves/tables to handle the rest with incorrect injector pulse width break points.

My current combination (8psi) allows me to run 90 octane. Others that I've talked to are not able to get away with that and have to run 93. Short answer is that you'll have to find optimum for each motor.

willys1 said:
sorry for the newbie question,whats a pm, and wideband?? I better learn now if I wanna do it rite.

I think that the "PM" that you're referring to is the Anderson PMS (Programmable Management System). It's an EEC tuner that you can use to vary the inputs/outputs of the stock ECU to tune electronically. Nice little piece of machinery and comparitively easy to use. Will cost about $800.

A wideband is a wideband 02 meter complete with wideband sensors. My personal preference is the Innovative LM-1 along with the RPM converter. I sue it to keep an eye on and data log my Air Fuel ratio to ensure that everything stays happy.

I had a 1.5l, I recently just sold it & bought a 2.2 wich is the Blowzilla after stroking & forging my motor, the 1.5l new only costs $2999.00 it will do 6-10 lbs of boost on a stock or mildly modified motor running 93 octane & pulling out a few degrees of timing @ wot you can be fine running 9lbs on a stock motor, the Blowzilla has a bypass valve & can do allitle bit more boost & is capable of making anywhere between 6- 21 lbs of boost it's costs new $3339.00 & just in case you did not know Kenne Bell does have a 10% Military discount, I saved $340.00 so I wound up getting me new Blowzilla for the same price of a 1.5l ;)

Here is my previous 1.5l dyno running 8lb's of boost on a stock motor with GT-40 Y303 Heads,
before.jpg

TrophyHead said:
Cool....The KB will be able to grow in the future when I upgrade my block and heads. Right guys?

Kinda a newbie question but how exactely do you up the boost? Just a pulley change or is there more to it.

IN most cases switching out to a smaller pulley will up your boost, but be smart about it. You don't want to change out the pulley and not have an engine prepared for it. Good Luck! :nice: