Body Shop Estimate

badazz68stang

Mar 28, 2006
My car is in its 4th week of restoroation down at my body shop right now and i just wanted to share with you guys what all they're doing to it and see what ya think the work should run.

Take the car down to bare metal, weld all new patches in, new quarter panel, patch up the floors, take all the glass out, paint the frame, fenderwhells, and all underneath, paint the entire car: trunk, doorjams, and hood as well. Install new front and rear weatherstripping for the windshields, put all new window fuzzies in, do the interior, carpet, dash, everything but the headliner and seat covers. And finally reaasemble the entire car, interior, bumpers, lights, and all that. THey're doing a frame-on restoration. We're painting the car in the Hot Hues paint series for a nice finish. I already have the quote, just wondering how much you guys think this would be worth, and i know it all depends on the quality of the work, i just saw a 66 coupe and a JAvelin that they finished and it was prestine work. Let me know your thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

badazz68stang said:
My car is in its 4th week of restoroation down at my body shop right now and i just wanted to share with you guys what all they're doing to it and see what ya think the work should run.

Take the car down to bare metal, weld all new patches in, new quarter panel, patch up the floors, take all the glass out, paint the frame, fenderwhells, and all underneath, paint the entire car: trunk, doorjams, and hood as well. Install new front and rear weatherstripping for the windshields, put all new window fuzzies in, do the interior, carpet, dash, everything but the headliner and seat covers. And finally reaasemble the entire car, interior, bumpers, lights, and all that. THey're doing a frame-on restoration. We're painting the car in the Hot Hues paint series for a nice finish. I already have the quote, just wondering how much you guys think this would be worth, and i know it all depends on the quality of the work, i just saw a 66 coupe and a JAvelin that they finished and it was prestine work. Let me know your thoughts.

15k for labor and paint

Well, it sort of relates to the three keys to real estate..... location, location, location.

Where are you located at? A full restoration will be cheaper here in central Oklahoma that it will on one of the coasts.

You don't state how many patches, or even show pics prior to work. If they're pulling the front and rear windows, why aren't they putting in a new headliner? Don't tell me the headliner looks fine because I'm sure it does, mine did too until I had a tire tread seperate and ripped the quarter panel open at 60 mph at night in the country during a new moon on a 2 lane blacktop farm to market road with no stripeing. This was on my '65 in '87, do you have any idea how much dirt is sitting on top of your headliner now after 40 years? Let me tell you, if you have the stock type old bulbs, you can't see the road once the air rushes into the trunk and rips open the headliner at the seams as the thread is all rotten out.

Do yourself a favor and buy a new $40 headliner, they'll likely get overspray on your anyway and it's not that hard to put in, there's a chance they won't get the old one back in right as it's already been trimmed to fit before, if they stretch it anymore, they'll likely rip a seam anyway.

Well, i live in West Virginia, and this may come as a shocker, but the price is 3200 for everything i listed. i already have him 500 the other day and got a receipt on it and the car was down to a bare shell and metal.

badazz68stang said:
Well, i live in West Virginia, and this may come as a shocker, but the price is 3200 for everything i listed. i already have him 500 the other day and got a receipt on it and the car was down to a bare shell and metal.

wow you so got a deal.

badazz68stang said:

:shrug: At that price I'd be scared *****less of what I got back, or when. The shop owner should be calling a Rape Crisis Center about now......

3200$

I work on my car in a body shop (dad works at the shop), and I would HATE to see what they would do to your car for 3200.... I would keep a CLOSE eye on the work. All of the previous estimates are much more inline with what I would expect a professional shop to be charging.

you betcha i got it in writing, and i used to work in a body shop when i was in high school so i know what im looking for and i've checked on the car 5 or 6 diff. times and each time i was happy with the progress. The body shop owner is a friend of my family and paints some of our farm eqpt. Tractors and whatnot, soon as i get home from college i'll take pics and post em up. Does anyone know anything bout the Hot Hues paints?

Bad Azz,
For Hot Hues paint, I just painted my sons rice rocket with the Hot Rod Black Matte Dupont Hot Hues last week. Paint lays down nice. For the Black Matte the Activator was about $37. a pint. I needed one pint of activator for each of the 2 quarts of paint. 2 quarts of paint, 1 pint of activator and a gallon of medium Hot Hues thinner was about $175.00. I do not know if the activator mix is the same for the other Hot Hues colors.

Outlaw66