boost and pcv

Mustangless

Jun 27, 2003
home
I was thinking about using this setup
View attachment 312722

but, I don't want the line running from the oil cap to the "inlet side of the blower". I am using a blow through setup, so whatever gets pass the oil separator would get on my maf. I thought about using a breather on the VC, but then I would have a vacuum leak.

• Sponsors (?)

Why not set it up as it is in that picture? That's the correct way to retain the PCV setup, and you need to have the tube to the oil fill on the valvecover, or you'll be drawing a vacuum on the crankcase, since it's a sealed unit without that tube. In order for it to work, you need to have a metered air source drawing in through the valvecover and being expelled through the PCV valve into the intake plenum. That, or you could delete the PCV system entirely and run breathers.

I don't want anything but clean air coming through my turbo. I have been told there will be oil residue(sp) and gasses that will come through. That would get on my maf sensor and it would have to be cleaned.

The breathers sound good, except I don't want to cut up my other valve cover.

Why not set it up as it is in that picture? That's the correct way to retain the PCV setup, and you need to have the tube to the oil fill on the valvecover, or you'll be drawing a vacuum on the crankcase, since it's a sealed unit without that tube. In order for it to work, you need to have a metered air source drawing in through the valvecover and being expelled through the PCV valve into the intake plenum. That, or you could delete the PCV system entirely and run breathers.

Ideally there shouldn't be any air returning through that hose, so that means there shouldn't be any oil exiting into your intake tubing. The air enters the crankcase through the tube on the oil fill and exits out the PCV and into the plenum. Now if you boost the crankcase through the PCV, the possibility does exist, but if you install the Turbocoupe or Supra PCV, it should alleviate that problem. Typically any oil that makes its way down to the MAF starts in the upper plenum and works its way down to the MAF as it accumulates. An oil separator would help with that, as well.

I found this on svtperformance

i i took my V.C. breather and installed a toyota supra (metal) pcv vlave upside down, inside it - so that when the engine is at cruise the vlave is sucked shut, so theres no vacum leak. however IF the crankcase gets boosted/pressurized then the valve unseats and crank case pressure exits through the breather
make sense?

I think I am going to try that.

edit: entire post

i wasnt looking for anything. what i ment was that i redesigned, sort a speak my pcv system. basically i replaced the stock pcv valve with a ford thunderbird turbo coupe pcv (so its designed for boost) it seals when it sees boost. i added a inline filter from pcv to intake, to filter out all the oil-its basically like a little catch can(really its a air/water seperator for a air compressor-steeda sells them now, way over priced!) i had to restrict flow with a inline reducer- it was working too good!
now the intake side:
i capped off the throttle body port (like everybody does who runs a V.C. breather) tapped into the intake side of the supercharger, ran a hose with a inline filter-the one that came with the vortech kit (again to catch any oil) and connected it to the valve cover. i took my V.C. breather and installed a toyota supra (metal) pcv vlave upside down, inside it - so that when the engine is at cruise the vlave is sucked shut, so theres no vacum leak. however IF the crankcase gets boosted/pressurized then the valve unseats and crank case pressure exits through the breather

It still sounds like he has the hose running before the s/c

Attachments

• pcv-2.JPG
    pcv-2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 360
I just want to make sure you understand how the PCV system works. At cruise, you want it open, so that it evacuates the gases/vapors from the crankcase, drawing the metered air in through the oil fill and expelling it through the PCV into the upper plenum. What you're planning would essentially be the same as running the PCV with no air source for the crankcase, until the vacuum drops at WOT, so you'll still have a vacuum on the crankcase. That would still cause a potential vacuum leak and lean condition. If air can't find a way in via the metered source, it will eventually find a way through a seal. It's the same principle as if you ran no PCV or breather, and how the pressure would leak out through a seal. The system needs to be run as designed, or eliminated entirely, with the vacuum port on the upper plenum capped.

Some where on the board somebody said put a breather on the oil fill, and one on the lower intake where the pcv line goes. Then cap of the pcv. Does this sound like this will work, and what size breather is it?

maybe not even a breather on the lower intake. Just plug it... Won't that work?

I read over that link you gave me. I am thinking about running just one breather and plugging the pcv hole on the intake. Do you know what size breather goes in to the oil fill? I was also looking for some baffles to help with the oil. All what jegs has is 1 1/4"
I have 2 breathers, one on each valve cover and the pcv plugged. Seems fine. I learned that you have to choose b/w pcv or breathers not both at same time.

do you have oil smell problems?