Bought an 04 Today!

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I've been converted. I just signed on a 2004 Shadow Grey Metallic GT today. 17,740. 29990 miles on the odo, bone stock except for a billet fuel door, shift ring, HVAC knobs, and E-brake handle. I'm going to add 18" bullits from the 06 GT premium package that are on my 87 right now, along with BBK progressive springs, a whole host of Autometer Phantom gauges from the 87, a mach 1 chin spoiler, and a mach 1 grille delete right off the bat. Down the line, the bolt-ons will follow. Time for a whole new world of Stanging...

quarter.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome bud and good lookin' stang. A lot of us modular guys came from fox roots and will alway have a place for them within us, but I think you'll come to find that these fox based stangs are a good step up all around. Congrats on the purchase!

You kinda overpaid on that one my friend. But it is spring and your region could have locally high prices on Mustangs...

Very nice looking car. I like those rims they are actually one of the lightest rims ever installed on a Mustang. Do they have any curb rash?

Two things the car has going for it are the low mileage and the mostly stock condition.

Good luck with it! :nice:

Let's see some pics of the engine and interior...

The KBB on the car in my area is 18,699 with that mileage and options. All other GTs in the area are in the same price range, or more with even more mileage. I haven't seen a Mach for sale around here in a long time. Exhaust mods will come in time, all the stuff I have is on hand or cheap to buy (chin spoiler and grill delete). Also, the car has a Mach 460 sound system in it, I think that means a 6 disc cd changer. The '06 wheels will fit on the rear as-is, but the fronts get into the calipers a bit (I have '95 setup on my 87), but some slim wheel spacers on the front allow them to be run. That's how I have it configured now, and 99+ calipers are even slimmer than my '95s. If it totally won't work, then I can always sell 'em or trade for different rims. I'm also swapping over my Infinity Basslink subwoofer system to add a little kick to the sound.

His location will explain the price of the car. He lives in Massachusetts, everything is more expensive here. Hell I looked at a 03 mach here last summer and they wanted the lower half of my left leg and 24k for it. If you want a terminator around here you better be prepared to give up one female family member to buy it and another to insure it.

Yeah, gotta love the state law that gives MA. insurance companies a monopoly on resident's insurance. We can't go with guys like Geico, Amica, Progressive, or any of 'em. We have to stay in state. Now I'm pretty much an insurance company's wet dream: Under 25 male driver with a few tickets, a minor accident, and a fully covered 2004 performance vehicle. My insurance payments will probably be more than my car payment...

I have a question: Where's the free power at on these cars? For example, on my fox, when stock, you pull the air silencer, and bump the timing a few degrees to get them a little more awake in stock form. Anyone know what the tricks are with these that I should do when I get it in the driveway?

Also, I put together an extensive wishlist of mods last night. Here's what I'm thinking: BBK ceramic LT headers, BBK catted Xpipe, MAC flowpath catback (have it on my 87, love the sound), FRPP U/D pullies, shytloads of billet bits for the interior and under the hood, Tri-Ax shifter, 98-04 Maximum Motorsports chassis brace package, 02-04 C&L MAF 85mm kit with inlet tube, Professional Products 75MM TB and upper plenum, Tokicko Illuminas, a FRPP tach driver, UPR monster tach bracket, Mach 1 chin spoiler and grille delete, quicklift elite hood supports, and stainless steel bumper inserts.

The stock air track isn't restrictive? I know on 5.0s like mine, one of the first things to do is get rid of the stock airbox and track and get a nice fender well cold air intake with a nice big MAF, because the stock MAF chokes the heck out of the motor. Also, I think personally the C&L piece looks alot better than the stock plastic business.

Do you guys know of any gauge pods that allow for 2 5/8" gauges in these cars? I have Autometer Phantom oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, volts, and fuel pressure that I'd like to use, but all I can find is pillars and pods for 2 1/16" gauges. I also have a monster Phantom tach to use too, but I found the mounting bracket for that.