Brake change help

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
Ok i have to change the brakes on my uncles 01 silverado 1500. the fronts are so gone and it is so unsafe. i worked for my uncle for over 10 yrs and he gave me this truck. its not my cup of tea (pos chevy) but the price is right (free+no insurance payments+commercial plates so i can get drunk and park wherever in boston). so the brakes are gone, i got all new brake shoes and rotors, jacked it up, took the tires off then i couldnt get the bolts holding the calipers off. they are stuck on. i made an extension for my rachet using a pipe and i tried beating it with a shortie sledge hammer with no luck. im thinking i need to torch the hell out of the bolts but im scared because the brake lines are right there. i tried using some spray stuff to brake the bolts lose but again i had no luck. what do i do, someone with experience please help me out!
thanks
-fawcett

• Sponsors (?)

try the heat as the bolts are probbaly locktited.. then cool everythign with some penetrating oil...

Think big socket (6-point) with a lot of leverages so you can apply a nice smooth force to break it loose....

Worst case cut the bolts and replace them if you can or replace what you need to...

sage2k said:
try soaking bolts in PB blaster?

Yeah that is the ticket. Try PB blaster, and if that doesn't work, try Buster. That stuff is expensive but it's the best stuff I have ever seen. Our parts dept. charges 19/can but I am sure you can get it for 12-13. It takes the WD out of WD-40.

Secondly, as others have stated, you need a 2ft breaker bar attached to a 4ft pipe. Then with someone else keeping the socket on the nut evenly, you turn that bastard!!! Don't strip the head otherwise it's FUBAR'ed
Scott

mo_dingo said:
It takes the WD out of WD-40.
WD-40 still does a great job doing what it was invented for. . .Displacing Water (i.e. Water Displacer #40). Use it under your distributer cap or spray a little in your cylinder bores to keep water from rusting them.

WD-40's mild abilities as a penetrating oil are more of a fringe benifit than a key use.

illwood said:
WD-40 still does a great job doing what it was invented for. . .Displacing Water (i.e. Water Displacer #40). Use it under your distributer cap or spray a little in your cylinder bores to keep water from rusting them.

WD-40's mild abilities as a penetrating oil are more of a fringe benifit than a key use.

Take a styrofoam cup and fill it with water. Then spray some wd-40 in it......nothing happens.

then take another cup and fill it with water, and spray some Buster in it. You will have a hole in the bottom of the cup instantly and the water will pour out.
Scott