Brake pedal effort, manual brakes

michael1

Jul 11, 2007
'69 w/302, replaced wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, hoses, the works, on the front. Pedal effort seems too high--maybe 40-50 lbs.? Everything else we drive has PB and just maybe I've forgotten just how much effort's required! What's 'reasonable' pedal effort for a normal, in-town, controlled stop? BTW--while bleeding brakes, I noticed that the front reservoir barely dipped while the rear one did all the draining. It's getting replaced next, just due to age (15+ years) along with the rear brakes this weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

I just put a 68 stang on the road, manual brakes as well, yea they take a bit of effort to stop.
If I need to stop real quick I use both feet and she'll lock up the wheels.
My entire brake system is new front to back w/ exception of the master cylinder so I'm assuming this is normal for the manual brake systems.

'69 w/302, replaced wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, hoses, the works, on the front. Pedal effort seems too high--maybe 40-50 lbs.? Everything else we drive has PB and just maybe I've forgotten just how much effort's required! What's 'reasonable' pedal effort for a normal, in-town, controlled stop? BTW--while bleeding brakes, I noticed that the front reservoir barely dipped while the rear one did all the draining. It's getting replaced next, just due to age (15+ years) along with the rear brakes this weekend.

IIRC, 30-40 pounds is about average for manual disc.drum setups and drum/drum would be just over that.

As for the MC, it's plumbed correctly. The rear jug feeds the front brakes, dunno why but thats how they did it.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I thought that might be the case with drum/drum. Had a '79 Ford truck with manual brakes and it was a horse if you had to haul it down very quickly, and that, with discs/drums.