Brake rust on rim?

ChrisA#5

Jan 10, 2004
Indianapolis
A while ago, my brakes were in pretty bad shape. And the rust from them got all over one of my rims and it looks like crap. Its pretty much baked on there. They're just the ugly tri bars, but I dont want it to look that bad. Is there anything that will work to take it off? Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

If you have an old clay bar, you can try that. A spray-on, hose-off wheel cleaner (such as FX Wheel Cleaner) may help.

Once you get them as clean as can be, and assuming you've got the painted or clearcoated rims, I've had good luck removing stubborn stains from factory coated rims with Mothers Plastic Polish and a PowerBall Mini.

Where can I get the Megs Wheel Brightener? I have much the same problem with a set of Cobra wheels, the previous owner told me the calipers wet completely out on him while he was going down the road! What an idiot....but anyway now there are quite a few thick areas of brake dust that I just cant get up. I got some of it up with polish and wheel cleaners but the rest is just to stubborn, I am also going to have to refinish the wheels once I do get the spots up. Any recommendations or complete guides to refinishing a set of 93 coba wheels to make them look factory?

I got HEAVY HEAVY rust on these painted wheels I had sold to a customer. They were painted silver from the factory. I used Eagle One wheel cleaner for CHROME AND WIRE WHEELS and a regular wheel brush. Oh my goodness, it took every spec of rust off, and they looked brand new!!! I would highly recommend that.