braking in car?

tungsten07

Jul 8, 2007
Hey guys, first time poster here. Picking up a new 2007 tungsten grey mustang gt :) hopefully monday or tuesday the latest. Definitely can't wait. My last mustangs were a 87gt and a 96 cobra. What a difference this car is! The thing shifts and drives like a luxury car (at least compared to the old ones ha ha). It's been about three years since I've had a mustang in my garage so I'm pretty psyched. Anyway, this is the first NEW car I've ever bought and I was just wondering what the deal is with braking in a new car. Some people I talk to said you have to do all these things like not go over 3500 rpm, no constant maintaing of speed, ect... for about 500-1000 miles. Now, other people are telling me that new engines are broken in from the factory and you don't have to do all of that stuff anymore. What do you guys think?? I'm still probably going to change the oil every 1,000 miles for the first 3,000 because with all of the new moving parts and assembly grease in there I would just think that SOME stuff must be finding its way into the oil. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well when I got my 06 the dealer said to drive it normally and specifically not to baby it because the computer has to get used to your driving habbits and adjust shift patterns etc. He did say something about not using cruise control for the first 1000 miles. Hope this helps.

Well when I got my 06 the dealer said to drive it normally.

Same thing my salesman told me. I did take it kinda easy the first 500 miles or so. I still let the temp gauge climb before messing around however. Change your oil early if you'd like and switch to fully synthetic.

Congrats on the new ride!

Love the color, the best IMHO. ;)

I just avoided mashing the gas too much and like everyone else says stay away from constant speeds. My dealer told me to just drive it normal too.

whats wrong with maintaining a constant speed? so, if you go on the freeway a lot, switch it up from 65 to 70 mph often?

I varied my MPH some out on the highway. Also what I did was try to maintain the same MPH, but by using 1 lower gear changing the revs. Very easy to do with the Auto O/D button:nice:

Um....... There is no break in for any damn engine. A "break in" period is for those that don't know how to build engines. If the engine was built properly, you can take it down the track for it's for 1/4 mile ever. The break in thing is a wives tale.

????

Well when I got my 06 the dealer said to drive it normally and specifically not to baby it because the computer has to get used to your driving habbits and adjust shift patterns etc. He did say something about not using cruise control for the first 1000 miles. Hope this helps.

Please explain this. Is it only for an auto, or a manual too? Does the computer really adjust based on how you drive?:eek:

If the ECU is anything like the one in my bike, the only "learning" that goes on involves air and fuel ratio... a constant monitoring of air density to adapt the fuel accordingly. All fuel injection systems do it (or at least that's what I've been told). Not so much learning driving habits as learning environmental conditions.

Not sure what else there is to "learn"? :shrug:

~SM