Brighter Instruments

• Sponsors (?)

you can try to take out the color filters, which will make it a "white" light rather than the blue, or green. That will make it a lot easer to read. also what is the # on the bulb, they make a step up from stock, but the brighter you get the hotter you get and be carefull not to melt the plastic base.

There is a 5w bulb available to replace the 3w bulbs. The factory bulbs are 194s, and the brighter replacements are 2825s. Unfortunately AutoZone will only stock 2-4 at a time, so you have to drive around or be patient. NAPA often has them in bulk but they use different part numbers for their bulbs.

It also helps to replace the clear plastic gauge covers too.

My dash lights were quite a bit brighter after installing a headlight relay kit.

New bulbs and cleaning of the reflector and color filters might help a little as well.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the bulbs. I should have noted that the lens, bezel, bulbs, etc., were all new. I really don't want to lose the green tint ot the lights, that's part of what makes a '65. Has anybody tried bright white LEDs? The headlight relay is a good idea, too.

I have been told that the LED's are directional, and not designed to light an area, rather provide a visable light source. I upgraded bulbs in my '66 and it is a lot better. No problems melting anything but I also have all new wiring.