Build or buy in midwest?

Hey all! I have been reading this forum for like three months now and am a new owner of a 2004 GT. )I am just not impressed but I needed a new car for the price) I am just a few months of having it paid off and torn between building my GT or buying an 04 Cobra or waiting to see what happens with the 05-06 GT.

Here are the concerns. If I build my GT I don't want to void warranty. As well there are no tuners for S/C's in Saint Louis that I am aware of.If there are I would want confirmation they were people I could trust to make power safely.

The way the math works out an 04 Cobra and a built GT cost about the same yet Ford would back me up on warranty if I get a Cobra.

Any ideas and opinions would be great.
Thanks
Rob

• Sponsors (?)

I have looked at the Mongoose kit and thought that might be the idea. I do have a question though. Would a car in California or New York take the same tune? I would think different areas of the country would need different tunes due to humidity differences. As well tempurature differences. I am new at this though.
I know I would lose a few bucks on trading in my 04 but at least I would have peace of mind I would own a Cobra that I could take to the dealer and get serviced. As far as I know there are no shops in my city that have the same knowledge that some og the others located in Atlanta or far away. So even if I got a kit that did not require a tune I would have no one to service it (in case something went terribly wrong)
Thanks for the input!
Rob

The cobra gives you forged internals and an engine that you can do minor mods on and keep your warranty.

Putting forged rods into a GT or installing a SC would certainly void your warranty and you still would need an aftercooler, upgraded suspension and better exhaust. I love my GT, but I'd say go with the cobra.

This is the same reasoning I have when the whole debate between the Roushes and Cobras comes up. Since what you are talking about is very similar to a Roush 380R, but the 380 doesn't even have internals and costs ~10K more than a Cobra.

Enginear26 said:
Hey all! I have been reading this forum for like three months now and am a new owner of a 2004 GT. )I am just not impressed but I needed a new car for the price) I am just a few months of having it paid off and torn between building my GT or buying an 04 Cobra or waiting to see what happens with the 05-06 GT.

Here are the concerns. If I build my GT I don't want to void warranty. As well there are no tuners for S/C's in Saint Louis that I am aware of.If there are I would want confirmation they were people I could trust to make power safely.

The way the math works out an 04 Cobra and a built GT cost about the same yet Ford would back me up on warranty if I get a Cobra.

Thanks
Rob

You're not going to get warranty on the '04 if you modify it even if you use Ford parts. If you add S/C then the VIN won't match and the warranty is voided. My '01 GT warranty specifically spelled out on a separate paper...no mods! It specifically mentions S/C as being a disqualifier.
Jeff

Enginear26 said:
Thanks
Rob
It is very apparent that money is not an issue with you...lucky aldsjfaljfs....anyways, personally the absolute smartest route would be to buy a 03 cobra....gonna save you a huge sum and you will still have the forged internals and awesome power....and if your that worried about a warranty then dont mod you car, period.. Personally, i could care less, if my motor goes, ill spend a day stripping whatever they can blame it on, act stupid, and hope for the best..but thats just me, with a $40,000 car it might be a little harder to justify doing this, mine was only 22,000 brand spankin new. Good luck with whatever you decide, either way you will have a killer car :nice: :flag:

Thank you all for the replies. I actually don't have THAT much money :rolleyes: I know I can have my 04 paid of in the next five months or so if I am smart. and yes I did make a fair down payment. But this is not the point.

I want a faster Stang and would probably build this car warranty or not. From the research I have done there is no shop here I would trust buolding my 04. If this were an old car without a computer things might be another story. I just don't want any jackass that says they can work and tune a S/C car to rely on. That cannot give me service . At least with a Cobra I can rely on the dealer (hopefully)

So I think the logical conclusion for speed and having someone to work on my car would be getting a Cobra. I don't think I would want to mod it considering it is a big step up from my 04 GT. Only thing I would change is the back exhaust which I am sure my dealer would be cool with. Oh and maybe gears :spot:

Hope I am making some sense. I still have time to make my decision. So thank again all. I am off to read some more stuff here Quite addicting!
Rob

How far is Anderson Ford Motorsports? They are almost the epitomy of tuning, and I don't think it's that far of a drive is it? Heck, I'm an hour north of Peoria, and it'd be worth it to me to haul or drive a car down there.

Your '04 GT is not yet listed in NADA guides for used cars. That means it will sell for almost what you paid for it at retail. You can discount 15% from the new value to arrive at the wholesale value. Selling your car is a major hurdle because you likely want most of your investment back. You'll have to find a buyer who is willing to pay a near new price for your used car. This is not impossible but its difficult since you're in competition with every Ford dealer having '04's still on their lot. Chances are they can discount their '04 below what you're willing to realize from your GT.

This is the normal state of affairs for 1 year old used cars. They are hard to peddle as a private individual unless the car is rare. Unfortunately for you, yours is not rare. The best time to trade is likely several years away.

Okay, you bought the wrong car and it doesn't meet your expectations. Everyone errs now and then (more often than not is usual). There is ALWAYS a ride you want more than the one you have! Its only human to think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence!

The reality is you should want to keep the GT you have and enjoy it by not thinking about its minor flaws and concentrate on how envious other folks are when they see you in your GT (not everyone can afford a GT). About 1/2 of Mustangs sold are V6's and you're definately upscale from that level. Drive it for at least three years or 75,000 mile whichever comes first. In this way you will eke your investment out of it in terms of transportation miles you get from the car.

I can afford any Mustang sold at the current time (no brag, just fact). I have a 2001 GT that's absolutely spotless, has 260hp, and custom paint. It gets a lot of looks and trophies at supermarket parking lot shows. It sits in the garage mostly because its my hobby car. My daily driver is a Honda Accord (better economy and I don't care if it gets door dings or if it ever gets washed...I just drive the crap out of it). Both cars are great cars and each has their place in my stable.

The fact is a '04 is not different so whats the use of me buying an '04? An '04 is going to get no more respect than my '01. Yes, one day I will sell the '01 and replace it with a new Mustang. I not jumping on the '05 bandwagon because the prices will be lower a year from now when the newness wears off. Its foolish to throw money down the rathole for something you want instead of something you need.

Time will come when its right to dump your '04 but in my opinion, that's not for several years. When you next get into good car buying position then buy what you dreamed of (even if it costs you). I'd tell you your situation is you'll be best served by keeping your '04 and waiting til late '07 or after.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jeff