build up of stock 1998 GT >>help<<

got a stock 1998 mustang GT with 3:73 gears, UPR off road X pipe, and weld in 2 chamber flowmasters..

below is a list of mods that i am thinking about going with..

could you guy's take a look at it and see if it is a waste of time and cash , or am i on the right track....

Accufab Upper Intake and 75mm BBK TB,

Ford 4.6/5.4 SOHC Xtreme Energy XE268H Cams

DESCRIPTION:
SOHC-Mild Street performance, 3.23-3.55 gears. Good torque and power, will work with stock computer, noticeable idle.

PART #102200

1,600-5,600 duration 230/236 lift .500/.500

this is all i would be doing to it for some time..

dry 75 shot of N20 , could be on the list at some time down the road ...

and would a SCT Naturally Aspirated Chip be a good tune for all the above ?

• Sponsors (?)

1fast4by said:
I would go more like PI swap With Comp cams
:stupid:

get some romeo PI heads+cams, nitrous, port out the stock plenum, get a 75mm tb. you'd be running 12's easy. while youre doing the headswap (easy job as well) you can clean off the pistons.

you'd need a tune for cams to run good

I dont know...your cam and heads suck as of right now. I was thinking about porting my NPI heads and just getting a new cam and intake, but for the price its silly. Its much more cost effective to get the PI heads with the PI cams in them already. If you really want the cammed sound, then throw in a more agressive cam. Keep in mind too if you want your current heads ported, they will have to be off of the car for a while, I dont know if you store your car in winter or not but if not then your stang could be out of commision for a while.

In the end, I decided on a PI swap with nitrous because my PI heads are new, and I dont have to worry someone not porting the old NPI's right

those cams will be ok but will still be choked at higher RPM'S by the NPI intake. I'd swap to the PI intake when you do the cams....that will add as much HP as the cams and let everything breathe freely in the upper RPM range. Your NPI heads are fine...a port job on them and they flow almost as good as ported PI heads.

They started a NPI GT project in one of the Mustang mags recently and the minor boltons don't add much on the dyno with the stock Intake....I think that is the first thing a 96-98 GT should change. Good luck!

droptopponynj said:
those cams will be ok but will still be choked at higher RPM'S by the NPI intake. I'd swap to the PI intake when you do the cams....that will add as much HP as the cams and let everything breathe freely in the upper RPM range. Your NPI heads are fine...a port job on them and they flow almost as good as ported PI heads.

They started a NPI GT project in one of the Mustang mags recently and the minor boltons don't add much on the dyno with the stock Intake....I think that is the first thing a 96-98 GT should change. Good luck!

thank you ! the old "got to have PI heads" is just that OLD !

and you dont think the Accufab Upper Intake and 75mm BBK TB will help it any ? cuz i just got that f'n NPI intake ! lol...

Pughman said:
thank you ! the old "got to have PI heads" is just that OLD !

and you dont think the Accufab Upper Intake and 75mm BBK TB will help it any ? cuz i just got that f'n NPI intake ! lol...

In the mag they only gained like 8hp with the upper/TB/CAI and i think headers...I have to re-read the article...I had lots of boltons when I was all NPI and didn't feel much in the SOP with full exhaust and CNL CAI,Upper and 75mmTB. Car felt stronger down low but @4000rpm's it would just die...when I did the PI swap it was Night and Day....I contribute most of this to the PI intake and cams...I have driven a NPI GT with just the PI intake and PI cams...and it pulled hard past 5000rpm's...something it didn't do with the NPI stuff.

droptopponynj said:
Your NPI heads are fine...a port job on them and they flow almost as good as ported PI heads.

I have yet to see Ported PI's with the swirl dams match Renegade Racing's Ported NPI's flow across the board. Johnny Langton's ported NPI's flow 225 CFM at .550 lift with the swirl dams. Fox Lake's Stage II's don't, VT Stage II's don't flow that well and those NPI's outflow those ported PI's across the board. If you want PI's that flow better, you need MPH PI's but those have the swirl dams removed, so they are slow burning heads. Removing the swirl dams from NPI's is one of the features of the SVO head, which ported will OUTFLOW MPH Stage III's. So you might want to rethink that.

Check my sig for a good start. The PI swap is required. Only other option is skipping the PI swap and going straight to using a blower. All the other mods will not matter much (except gears) until you get the PI swap out of the way.

tomustang said:
yo vax you ever get a dyno run yet?

i bet that turn signal fluid is adding 20+ to the wheels

More like 12-15. I have had dyno runs (~250/290) but have to run it again since the last time the EEC was reflashed. It needed a tweak as it was an expermintal tune at the time. I have to keep my eyes open for a "local" dyno day.

mrvax said:
Check my sig for a good start. The PI swap is required. Only other option is skipping the PI swap and going straight to using a blower. All the other mods will not matter much (except gears) until you get the PI swap out of the way.

whats your HP numbers ?

this guy is at over 300 now , after new cams , he was all nost there with the ex268H cams , and its all NPI ! lol...

http://forums.modulardepot.com/show...&highlight=268H