Building an audiophile system.

The SL60s showed up today! :banana:
One of the cones has a small cut in it from being packed like crap :notnice: Fortunatly its small and they are a composit cone so I just used a needle and some CA composit glue and fixed it. I just free aired the cone off my stereo and had plenty of x-max with no vibrations or tonal dammage :shrug: I am still gonna email the guy and get a partial refund. But they came in a Kenwood box :nonono: although they did include everything including the three different tweeter mounts and the speaker gaskets and grills :nice:
View attachment 273893
View attachment 273895

And very nice x-overs :nice:
View attachment 273897

• Sponsors (?)

I scored big time on the speakers but my amp is the deal that just shocks me. I aint gonna say what it is but its old school, more powerful then the Rockford Power series ($175) I was looking at (and cheaper), its cleaner then 99.8% of the car amps in existance and is just beautiful. The case is brushed stanless steel and I used to sell them when they first came out in the 90's. This particular model we had a "sale" price of $1229 :eek:
Here is a teaser. Some audiophiles will know what it is :nice:
View attachment 273771

I am so freakin happy! My crown jewel showed up today! My first generation Xtant 3300c amplifier.
Xtant was one of the best companies when they first came out. They progressivly got worse as they switched owners but their first generation of amps were incrediable. The 3300c was and still is a highly sought after amp. Its a 3-channel amp that can function like a 5-channel. It has a S/N ratio >104db and its THD was .04% so its a very clean amp. :nice: Its only rated at 300 watts rms (60x2 + 180) but if you notice it has two 50 amp fuses run in paralell. That is 100 amps of current. The amp is roughly 65% efficient so thats over 800 watts of continuous power!
The case is stainless steel and the grill is solid copper. It uses jumpers for settings and adjustments. Jumpers dont get worn and dirty like potentiometers do so there is less chance of making a speaker run out of phase or putting resistance on the signal. :nice:

The guy I bought it from just installed all new capacitors and cooling fans so the thing performs just like new :D
I cant believe I scored this thing for so freaking cheap! Cant wait till Saturday so i can install it!
View attachment 270251
View attachment 270252
View attachment 270253

thats an old xtant isnt it? those things were awesome!!!

i also like the older Phoenix Gold Titanium amps

edit: nevermind, i didnt read down far enough to figure out that you gave it away.
Gave what away? The amp? Never! I am keeping this amp till it dies.... which wont be soon since it has a whole new power and cooling section :nice:

Yeah, this is an old one. Its a first gen amp so its the best Xtant ever made and its about 16 years old, mabey 15 :nice:
The next year it was called a 3300x and the specs were the same but they really were not as good. Same design and layout but the choke coils and the resistors were not as tight of tolerences that they were before. Also the case was polished instead of brushed. The only amps that are cleaner are McIntosh and Pioneer ODRs and a handful of limited run amps. I still am shocked that I got it for so cheap and that its in this condition. I love this amp, its sitting on my lap right now. :rlaugh:

Its gonna look alot how it does now :rlaugh: Besides the deck the only way to "see" the system is pop the trunk and even then it will be hard. The amp will be mounted to the back of the back seat and the sub will be next to it. The Marks trunk is so deep you have to bend over to see them back there :rlaugh:
But man, it should soun killer! :nice:

After 6 hours of breakin my back I got the whole system installed! Man does it sound great! Still have some fine tuning to do. Overall I am pretty satisfied :nice:
IMGP0632.jpg

IMGP0630.jpg