Bumper cover rivet replacement

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, got a new front bumper that is missing the rivets. I really dont want to go out and buy a rivet gun and do the whole thing. Any reason I cant use the push style clips that the newer cars are using?

22143747_dor_800589_pri_larg.jpg

Attachments

• 22143747_dor_800589_pri_larg.jpg
    22143747_dor_800589_pri_larg.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Sponsors (?)

I'd rather not deal with nuts and bolts sounds like a pain. But what about even just those push in style like the door panels use with the teeth.

Why? They seem like such a pain in the ass. I really dont want to go get a $15 rivet gun to use it once. I feel like the push clips would be just as sturdy, easy to install, and easy to remove. Isnt this what all the new cars use? Instead of 1980's rivets.

Why? They seem like such a pain in the ass. I really dont want to go get a $15 rivet gun to use it once. I feel like the push clips would be just as sturdy, easy to install, and easy to remove. Isnt this what all the new cars use? Instead of 1980's rivets.

These push pins allow movement. Something rivets don't allow. You have to remember, our front bumper cover is only secured to the header panel. There isn't any other body panels holding them in place (IE Fenders) like the newer vehicles.

Also if you were to end up doing the rivets, don't use just any rivets. They are too strong and the release point for the stud isn't the same as the ones you would buy through LMR or a ford part distributor, or possibly a body shop. The ones through there, have a weaker release point, allowing the stud to break off, rather than busting through your fiberglass front bumper.

BLAH! I see your point in the rivets, but I am going to just use the push pins temporary. I dont want to drop 50 bucks on rivets and a gun. At least I know the bumper isnt going anywhere but if its starts sagging or moving around I'll change them out.

15$ for a gun plus rivets.. It'd just do it and be done with it. When a door handle brakes you'll be glad you have it

Isn't that the truth lol

Rivet gun only runs from $15-25. Not bad for the price, and definitely cheaper than replacing or fixing your bumper when one or more than one of those pins become faulty.

$15.99 for rivets off of Late Model Restoration if your body shop doesn't have any you can buy or have. I am a cheap person, but this is something I wouldn't go cheap on myself. Its one time you will have to do this.

So you dont bolt your bumper cover to the fenders? LoL

The bumper cover certainly does bolt to the fenders.

Sure, the bumper fastens to the fenders, but the fenders aren't a huge support on holding the front clip on. The fenders help hold the outside of the bumper in place and flush with the car. What I was trying to say, is there isn't much force at that point of contact. Most of the weight/force of holding the front bumper cover is upfront, where the rivets are put in place.