bumper covers, "Knock off" vs. oem?

wiggy's5.0

Jul 14, 2003
Hi all,

I am in need of a new front and rear bumper covers on my 87 lx. I noticed looking at ads in my stang mags, that they offer oem replacements and ones that are significantly cheaper. My question is are the cheaper ones as good as the oem made pieces or are they junk? Any fitment issues with the less expensive ones? Or do you have to go with the oem made covers?

• Sponsors (?)

wiggy's5.0 said:
Hi all,

I am in need of a new front and rear bumper covers on my 87 lx. I noticed looking at ads in my stang mags, that they offer oem replacements and ones that are significantly cheaper. My question is are the cheaper ones as good as the oem made pieces or are they junk? Any fitment issues with the less expensive ones? Or do you have to go with the oem made covers?

From what I have heard, there aren't fitment issues with the repro's. They don't have the "mustang" lettering on them however.

something i've noticed about repro covers is the bottom of the nose, that bottom lip that runs down along the bottom of the radiator, always seems to start drooping after a couple years, both on LXs and GTs. I'm not sure if that's because they're repros, but most i've seen like that were repros. If you buy an OEM then you're gonna get great quality, but by then you could just about buy any bumper cover on the market which means you could get a stalker or saleen if you wanted it. My vote would be trying to find one in a junkyard..you'll get the OEM quality for less than the repro price.

THEY SUCK!!!!

do NOT BUY THEM!!! AHHH!!! Don't you dare do it!! I tried for the 4th time to get a cover that wasnt crap but not oem, and look at my car!! I'm going to buy a oem cover in a few weeks and put it on! look at the top of the fenders! they are crap, no where near fitting, and you cant make them fit.

MVC-221F.JPG

wow man that's some crappy body lines on an otherwise great lookin GT. (no offense or anything) You almost cant tell though with the hood up, as my attention was imediately drawn to the GT40 intake :D

oem all the way, yes the aftermarkets droop over time underneath and it looks horid, and the lines DO NOT line up and it looks like *****. spend the extra money and get it right the first time around!!