busted... what now?

iLkYsPoNy

if she's a tranny then... well I'd do her.... it..
Well people I haven't had a chance to survey the damage but Friday night my balljoint/control arm broke on me. LUCKILY.... it didn't happen 20 minutes earlier when I was rippin' on it. I managed to make it to my parking lot before it got too bad but she was def. grinding. I managed to stick my hand in and feel the wheel and it didn't feel too bad, again... LUCKILY.

I'm wondering though, what else should I do when I replaced the control arms (w/balljoints)? I still need to look for damage to make sure nothing crazy happened but it didn't go very far after the grinding started. There's still a lot of dust all over everything so we'll see.

1992 GT with 245/45/17... will a 1.5 in drop be too much? I was getting a little rubbing on TIGHT turns. But, I wonder if new control arms and bushings and everything will make a difference in that?

Pics of car for reference:
4.jpg

stang1.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 49
  • stang1.jpg
    stang1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 56
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Sponsors (?)

I had the same thing happen to my fox 2 summers ago. The ball-joint pulled right out of the knuckle cuz it was worn so badly. It is possible to only replace the balljoints if you're on a budget. The best thing to do though would be to grab yourself some aftermarket arms while you're at it. They wont cost that much more than just the balljoints, and they'll improve handling/turning radius. I also opted to upgrade to 95+ spindles/brakes and 5-lug while I was at it since they require a shorter ball-joint, and I didnt want to change the balljoints twice... although you could just shim the fox balljoints if youre going to go 5-lug in the future.

i dont know why you dont get replys :shrug: :rlaugh:

It's gotta be because I'm such an ass hole? I guess the world may never know...

The power steering items are in great shape (as i say that the car is thinking about breaking there next)... no leaks and no noise.

Are the Cobra arms a direct bolt in? Also, the aftermarket arms are a LOT more than buying just balljoints. Decent balljoints will run about $30 each and the decent set of arms (non-tubular) are atleast $300 from what ive seen.

Nice...im about to do ball joints and tie rod ends this weekend along with those stailess caliper sleeves from MM. Ball joints are about 35 bucks a piece or the steeda X2's are about 130 for the pair. the rod ends are pretty cheap too. Should be a nice change after getting that old crap out of there.