buying a digital camera, what to buy?

gingerbreadman

Only half-baked
Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
Go ahead, call me cheaky
I want a somewhat compact camera I dont need a removable lense type (slr?) camera, Id like to blow the odd picture up to 5x7 or 11x14 and and some zoom cabaility would be nice, I have been shopping around and I ran accross this one http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=11368 Is it overkill for a ammature like me? I dont really know much about cameras maybe someone could school me a little here.

Also, are there better or faster memory cards then others or is the cheapest the best?

-gbm-

• Sponsors (?)

Four mega pixel cameras are somewhat cheap now, and the picture quality is great. I have a two mega pixel, sometimes sharp, sometimes not, depending on lighting. Memory cards are for storing pictures, the bigger the memory, more pictures to store. I always go with brand names, you get what you pay for, usually. Good luck.

I’m sure the “Canon PowerShot S2 IS” is an excellent camera, but a bit pricey (I suppose that depends on which end of the camera spectrum you compare it to). I opted for the more down-to-earth priced Kodak Easyshare Z740 for my sons Christmas present. If you go for the Z740, don’t bother getting the printer deal. I read enough reviews to learn that the printing supplies are way over priced. Here’s what I got from Amazon:

Kodak Easyshare Z740 5MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom $269.94

Kodak SD Card 512 MB KPSD512SCS $47.49

Kodak Easyshare Camera Dock (Series 3) $40.94

Kodak Performance Series Digital Camera Case for Z730, Z7590, DX7440, DX7630 & Z700 Cameras $22.32

Kodak Digital Camera Tripod $18.95

Total = $399.64

With respect to memory cards, I don’t know about other cameras, but my older (2 year old LS443) Kodak didn’t function properly until I replaced the PNY card with a Kodak card. I’d check with the specific camera manufacturer for recommended/supported memory cards.

IMHO, there are way too many manufacturers/choices/options in the digital camera area.

I got a 5.0 megapixel samsung for christmas. It was roughly $100-$120. The memory card was around $30 IIRC, It was a 120 Mb card.

It takes decent pictures, at least it does after I read the instructions.

I haven't used a point & shoot digital cam in a long time, but I will tell you that digital zoom is crap. If you're interested in zoom capabilities, look at the optical zoom and ignore the digital.

-Chelle

mega pixels

i have a quandary with this whole "the more mega pixels the better"....

the file size gets SOOOOO big that you can't email them to anyone, well at least to my friends with dialup............

so lots of pixels is GREAT if you are going to be printing out the pics, but for taking shots and sending them by email, my 3.1 olympus is perfect

is there some way that the new 8 (or more) mega pixels cameras can be set to use less pixels?????

next one i buy will have optical zoom though

The Pentax has a 4x optical zoom which is pretty good for a point and shoot, it also has 4 or 8x digital. It also has a setting where you can choose between 5 MP, 4 MP, 3MP, 2MP, 1024x??, and 640x480. You can also select between 3 quality levels for each #MP above, which is pretty nice. My girlfriends mom just got the Cannon S2 mentioned above and it really nice. My family has all Canon digital cameras and they are really reliable and easy to use.

I have a Canon Power Shot P/S at 3.1 mp and I just ordered a Nikon D70s DSLR, which arrives Tuesday. I used to have a lot f really nice Nikon film stuff, but I sold it 5 years ago. I knew digital was coming, and the processing fees were killing me. Digital SLRs are finally getting affordable with real quality.

i have a sony and it takes good pics but the battery doesnt last that long. and you have to use a SONY memory stick with it. you do get what you pay for most of the time. if i had to do it over it over i would save a little extra money then go get the cannon. sony makes everything cannon makes cameras.

I know it's neither here nor there in this conversation; but Nikon's and Pentax Opio's are the two top cameras-of-choice to hang under the wings of model airplanes. If you want to see some great, sharp panorama shots taken from above in a moving, jostling 2 lb airplane bouncing in the breezes, look at the guys flying those cameras.

(Using an old, beat-up Nikon 3700 on my Slow Stick :D )

StangDreamin' said:
I know it's neither here nor there in this conversation; but Nikon's and Pentax Opio's are the two top cameras-of-choice to hang under the wings of model airplanes. If you want to see some great, sharp panorama shots taken from above in a moving, jostling 2 lb airplane bouncing in the breezes, look at the guys flying those cameras.

(Using an old, beat-up Nikon 3700 on my Slow Stick :D )

got any links??

mudbilly said:
got any links??

You know, I should do that someday :rolleyes:
Most of my shots are still crooked or "looking at the sun", or "Ooops! I pulled a little up elevator", or...... :bang:

I compare those lousy shots to the ones I see in the "Aerial Photography" forum atTHIS SITE and I just dump most of the contents of my SD card :nonono:

Just nothing good enough that I want to post online yet....

I bought Nikon's "Cool Pix 4300" two and a half years ago and it's a great camera. It's 4x megapixels and I've blown many pictures up to 8x10 and they look excellent. I read in a magazine somewhere that Nikon is known for their excellent lenses. Here's a pic that I took with it. I shrunk this down (which usually affects image quality) but it still looks pretty good.

springsummer_2005_021.jpg