C&L Plenum? Why buy a throttle body also??

sasscuba

Dec 24, 2003
Tulsa Oklahoma
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine only reports an additional 2 HP and 3 LB torque with a Accufab TB. I just can't see spending another $200 for the TB for 2 HP when for $180 the C&L is around 8-12 by itself. Any reason why I should get both? Please tell me why it would be a good thing to get.

Also do you need to get a Dyno tune after this install or will everything be ok without one? Thanks. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

stangscuba98a said:
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine only reports an additional 2 HP and 3 LB torque with a Accufab TB. I just can't see spending another $200 for the TB for 2 HP when for $180 the C&L is around 8-12 by itself. Any reason why I should get both? Please tell me why it would be a good thing to get.

Also do you need to get a Dyno tune after this install or will everything be ok without one? Thanks. :flag:

isn't the accufab plenum better flowing therefore has more power than the C&L? or do i have it backwards?

stangscuba98a said:

They work together to make a better curve.
I have a dragon plenum and I just ordered a 75mm Accufab t/b from Ronnie Diaz (www.rdmrdm.com)
http://www.cnlperformance.com/images/TBCompareTest2.jpg
This should speak for itself

-wade

stangscuba98a said:
What about a tune after install? Did you really notice the increase after you installed both?
my "tune" consisted of disconnecting the battery and then holding the brake pedal down to drain all electricity from the system. then 10 minutes later i reconnected the battery and it's been awesome ever since. :)

1990StangLX said:
my "tune" consisted of disconnecting the battery and then holding the brake pedal down to drain all electricity from the system. then 10 minutes later i reconnected the battery and it's been awesome ever since. :)
Would just disconnecting the battery for an hour accomplish the same thing?

I just installed the MAF kit, True-Flow Pipe, TB, and Plenum. It started pinging bad under load but, then after disconnecting the battery for an hour (I didn't hold the brake pedal down), the pinging has stopped. I still have a check engine light and the idle is wierd (kind of like it was when the IAC needed to be replaced). Could a lean A/F ratio cause the check engine light, or is it more likely that the TPS is off and needs to be adjusted?

Black96VertGT said:

I just installed the MAF kit, True-Flow Pipe, TB, and Plenum. It started pinging bad under load but, then after disconnecting the battery for an hour (I didn't hold the brake pedal down), the pinging has stopped. I still have a check engine light and the idle is wierd (kind of like it was when the IAC needed to be replaced). Could a lean A/F ratio cause the check engine light, or is it more likely that the TPS is off and needs to be adjusted?

i honestly don't know. i held the brake down to get all the electricity out of the system, and i don't know if what you did was the same thing. i honestly would think that it would, but i am no mechanic :)

what i'd do is get the code scanned and see what it is, then you'll know whether you need new parts or to just adjust something.

Most of the gains noticed by the C&L Plenum + TB combo are noticed throughout the power band especially in the lower rpm's. Just because something only gives a peak of 2 hp, doesn't mean thats all it gives. There's more to it than that.

If you could see an over lap of the dyno sheets, you can actually pick out where you see the most gains. If in fact all you gained was just simply 2hp in very high rpm's, then sure, it might be a waste of money for some folks but, chances are, you probably gained that much if not more in the lower rpm's.

Hope that helps.

Black96VertGT said:

Check to make sure you hooked up all your vacuum lines correctly. You may have also damaged your IAC when you took it off :shrug:

Redfire03GT said:
Most of the gains noticed by the C&L Plenum + TB combo are noticed throughout the power band especially in the lower rpm's. Just because something only gives a peak of 2 hp, doesn't mean thats all it gives. There's more to it than that.

If you could see an over lap of the dyno sheets, you can actually pick out where you see the most gains. If in fact all you gained was just simply 2hp in very high rpm's, then sure, it might be a waste of money for some folks but, chances are, you probably gained that much if not more in the lower rpm's.

Hope that helps.

According to the Plenum Showdown at Modular Depot, Accufab plenum was the one to show gains throughout the power band, not C&L nor Dragon which only started showin gains after 3.7k exept at 2.6-2.8k. Perhaps recomended C&L+75mm TB does show gains throughout entire curve. Where can we see a third party graph with that combo?

I'm not sure where you can find a third party graph but, I managed to get my 2 different run's over lapped on a sheet that showed considerable gains in the low end as a pose to some what minimal gains (7hp) in the higher rpm's. I don't have a scanner, though. And the dyno sheet in my sig was a picture taken from a cell phone :p

stangscuba98a said:
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine only reports an additional 2 HP and 3 LB torque with a Accufab TB. I just can't see spending another $200 for the TB for 2 HP when for $180 the C&L is around 8-12 by itself. QUOTE]
:stupid:

I can think of all kindsa things that I could buy with that extra $200. If you going to supercharge it or breathe it in any other way I could see it, but otherwise...

I have a feeling bigger TBs will be like CAIs. Lots of passionate feelings from people, but minimal gains. Atleast for the minimally tweaked stangs.

LZR01GT wrote

According to the Plenum Showdown at Modular Depot, Accufab plenum was the one to show gains throughout the power band, not C&L nor Dragon which only started showin gains after 3.7k exept at 2.6-2.8k. Perhaps recomended C&L+75mm TB does show gains throughout entire curve. Where can we see a third party graph with that combo?

Thats cool an all to get gains from idle on up or even in the 2000 rpms and up, BUt anything less than 3500 rpms measn nothing to me, cause when i race my car it doesn't see the 3500 and lower rpms.

My honest opinion is this. Throttle bodies showed no gains on a n/a car alone before the plenums all came out. But when they madethe plenums, they got good gains, well these manufacturers got deals with the throttle body companies and started to sell these with the throttle bodies for double the price. So companies will sell these kits for $380-$420 with the throttle body, instead of selling just a plenum for $180 or so. Its just a gimic to make more money.

Don't get me wrong, i believe plenums give good gains, but the tb's don't

Josh

MustangLife said:
LZR01GT wrote

Thats cool an all to get gains from idle on up or even in the 2000 rpms and up, BUt anything less than 3500 rpms measn nothing to me, cause when i race my car it doesn't see the 3500 and lower rpms.

My honest opinion is this. Throttle bodies showed no gains on a n/a car alone before the plenums all came out. But when they madethe plenums, they got good gains, well these manufacturers got deals with the throttle body companies and started to sell these with the throttle bodies for double the price. So companies will sell these kits for $380-$420 with the throttle body, instead of selling just a plenum for $180 or so. Its just a gimic to make more money.

Don't get me wrong, i believe plenums give good gains, but the tb's don't

Josh

But what does Mustang92 (Bill) think?