C4 Leak

joeythesaint

Feb 9, 2003
Seattle
Driving me nuts. I can't get a light far enough up into the tranny tunnel to see, and I can't imagine where this POS is leaking from. It's leaking onto the passenger side header collector, which appears to be about even with the midline of the PS front wheel. :scratch: Looking at a picture of the C4 tranny, it looks like the high-pressure fittings are well back from that point. Any ideas where the leak might be coming from?

• Sponsors (?)

Don't know if ths is the problem with yours or not but I had 2 of these cars drive me nuts with a pan gasket that wouldn't seal. Ended up going to NAPA and getting a rubber pan gasket instead of the cork type and that sealed them up. Also since you say it's up by the front wheel you might check the rack for leaking fluid.

The dipstick tube plugs in around there. Are you sure it's ATF and not engine oil leaking down from a valve cover or rear intake seal and running down the bell?
You can test to see if it's a pressure line leak by cleaning the area with brake cleaner, drying it off, and then let the car sit there and idle for awhile. If it leaks, it's probably a pressure line, if it doesnt leak, it's probably not from a pressure line.

It's definitely leaking even when the car isn't running. And it seems to leak more when going up a hill or accelerating. And it's either tranny or PS fluid; it's reddish. I'm thinking power steering fluid. I need to get back under there. :(

Dan, do you know if it's possible to remove/reseat the dipstick tube without pulling the engine/tranny? I really need to reseal it. Maybe drop the driveline, PS pipe, and tranny xmember?

Has anyone tried this with the tranny in the car?

I accidently pulled my dipstick tube out and managed to plug it back in by sense of touch but I'm thinking that wretched moment in time was responsible for the leak I also have now. :( Sucks when your project car is your daily driver. Can't exactly pull the transmission and have everything fixed for the Monday drive to work.

Have you checked your coolant lines? Try wiping everything as clean as possible and take small testdrives until you can see the source. Do you have to top up the transmission or powersteering fluid at all? Maybe make a small scratch on either dipstick and check it again in a couple weeks.

Cool Wheels said:
Have you checked your coolant lines? Try wiping everything as clean as possible and take small testdrives until you can see the source. Do you have to top up the transmission or powersteering fluid at all? Maybe make a small scratch on either dipstick and check it again in a couple weeks.

I do have to top up the tranny fluid, about a half quart every month. It leaks when the car is sitting, and it really leaks when I romp on it or go uphill real fast. White smoke everywhere. Which makes me wonder if it's maybe leaking out the breather valve at the top in addition to wherever it's leaking at rest. :scratch: In which case, I wonder if there's a way I can build a splatter shield to keep the fluid off the pipes. . . . the mods never end. . . .:bang:

Are you sure it's not overfull and thus causing the vent to leak? Also, I'm pretty sure you can change the dipstick tube without pulling the motor, though you might need to remove the trans mount and use a jack to lower the motor/trans down in back some to make room at the firewall.

Blue Thunder said:
Are you sure it's not overfull and thus causing the vent to leak? Also, I'm pretty sure you can change the dipstick tube without pulling the motor, though you might need to remove the trans mount and use a jack to lower the motor/trans down in back some to make room at the firewall.

I wonder -- it had been sitting for a couple of months; would non-use cause the transmission to hesitate until it's "primed" somewhat? (It was sitting at a downward angle, nose up, on a slope.) Perhaps I did overfill it because the transmission wouldn't shift when I first warmed it up, so I added 1/2 qt. Seemed OK on the dipstick, though.

Try this one on for size. Dont fill it but when you park it, put some cardboard under it so you can get an idea as to where the leak is. If it is your dipstick, you can put it in without moving anything but maybe move your header out of the way. you are supposed to install it from the top to begin with. maybe just put it on stands and try guiding it in from the bottom while a friend sends it down from the top. and make d..n sure the o-ring is in good shape or replaced and rebolt the tube to the trans. its either that or you might have a crack in the tube,it has happened.:jaw:

P.S. its not slinging it from the pump seal is it?