Cam Install question???

155dB5.0

Jul 2, 2003
Upper MI
Is it possabile to instal the cam and line up the timing marks on the timing chain when the #1 Piston is not at TDC? I instaled a new one before winter and the car was not running the greatest after. Could this be my problem? I made sure the timing marks were dead on when i put it in.
Also is there a easy way to check it with out taking of the timing cover and head?

Thanks Darren

• Sponsors (?)

The only correct way to install a cam is to properly degree it in with a degree wheel( heads, timing cocer, intake removed). Yes u can reach TDC on number one, line up the marks on the timing chain, and install the cam straight up, but its kinda like screwing with the lights off, yea youll find the hole eventually, but shell have a black and blue belly button once you tuwn the lights on...see my point. Its possible to nail it right on doing it the way you did, but if your second guessing YOUR OWN work, then maybe you should redo it with someone knowledgable assisting you.

"Is it possabile to instal the cam and line up the timing marks on the timing chain when the #1 Piston is not at TDC?"
well you still did not tell me if its possabile. That is the only thing i am second guessing and i am not worryed about degreeing it in. I will be geting a new motor soon and and am not to concerned about a few degrees or HP at this time.

155dB5.0 said:
"Is it possabile to instal the cam and line up the timing marks on the timing chain when the #1 Piston is not at TDC?"
well you still did not tell me if its possabile. That is the only thing i am second guessing and i am not worryed about degreeing it in. I will be geting a new motor soon and and am not to concerned about a few degrees or HP at this time.

Yes it is possible and many people do it that way...not saying its the best but many people do it...

So what is going to be on your new motor... :nice:

Thanks, i may end up checking it then.
New motor proably a 331, if i have the cash all forged internals, low comp for a super charger. Top end will proably be some AFR 185s or 205s and mabey a RPM 2 intake. Just your averge 500hp daily driver. :)
Still looking for good places to get a short block from, thinking Panhandle performance or something like that.

Darren

no it is NOT possible.....

if the cam gear dot is straight down and the crank gear dot is straight up and they both line up with each other then the cam is dead on, and installed 'straight up'. yeh it would be nice to degree a cam, but its not needed, cam manufacturers these days are dead on, and degreeing a cam only verifies the cam is ground as the manufacturer claims.

maybe you got some plug wires mixed up, or the dist off a tooth.

blown5.0 said:
no it is NOT possible.....

if the cam gear dot is straight down and the crank gear dot is straight up and they both line up with each other then the cam is dead on, and installed 'straight up'. yeh it would be nice to degree a cam, but its not needed, cam manufacturers these days are dead on, and degreeing a cam only verifies the cam is ground as the manufacturer claims.

maybe you got some plug wires mixed up, or the dist off a tooth.

WHOOPS...I made a mistake...I was thinking he meant with the cam at TDC at the #1 piston...not that it wasn't at the number one piston...

Then yes I would check it...sorry for the confusion...

Pops Fun said:
Hi,
Don't want to stel the thread but can you degree one while the engine is in the car?? I have been told no but have wanted to try and retard mine.

Steve

Yes you can...it is just easier to do it with the engine out and room to work with...

Thanks every one, i am going to get it out of storage tomarow, i belive it is running to rich after the upgrades because it pulls hard all the way to about 6500. It just rough down low. I have a AFPR ready to go on, so hope this solves the prob. Then i can get my new exhaust on and suspention.

Darren

Highbredcloud said:
Keep in mind that each engine revolution has 720*...so you need to know if you istalled the cam on compression stroke or exhaust stroke sice at both times the #1 piston would be at TDC...

this isnt a correct statement. yes the engine turn 720deg for every 360deg the cam turns, but without a cam the motor has no compression stroke, the cam determines the compression stroke, yes the #1 piston will be a at the top twice for every cam revolution, and the crank gear dot will be at the top twice for every cam rev, but the cam can be installed at either of these, AS LONG AS BOTH TIMING GEAR DOTS LINE UP. once the cam is installed then the motor has TDC, BDC, compression stroke, exhaust stroke, etc.

:nice: