cam lift, .75 to high? impossible?

tendo

May 1, 2003
I recently got a new job and a guy I met here has a mustang also. I started to talk to him about his car and what he had in it. Well he told me he had a comp cam in it and didn't say anything about the lift on it. I finally got around to asking the specs on his cam and he has it was 3/4 inch lift. I didnt know what to think about that high of a lift seeing as how an e303 isnt even .5 . But is 75 lift possible? If so what all will need to be changed. rods springs arms? btw he said he raped tricked out 350s all the time. he had this cam a shift kit for second and third and 2chamber flows o/r hpipe.

• Sponsors (?)

I would personally doubt that he is driving a car with a cam that .750 inches of lift on the street. And he sure is hell isn't running it with the stock heads :rlaugh: Now on a drag car that is believable for a cam to be that big, but from what I heard a 3/4 cam is a term that was used back in the day. I am not sure what it means.

LoL I thought about asking him what size valves he was using for that huge lift. So 3/4cam is a term. Now I remember, the previous owner of his car said it had a 3/4cam in it. So now Im thinking it wasnt .75 lift, Im going to go look around, maybe see if i can buy a 3/4 cam anywhere and if so Ill let a list of specs and post.

Well 3/4cam is just a term and the only way to get .75 lift is with some wicked heads and a custom cam. I still dont know what 3/4 cam means nor do I care anymore Ill just assume my car will out run his ;) .... for now.

3/4 cam is an extremely old term way before hyd rollers were used in these motors. It means nothing today in 5.0L and if he is referring to a .750" lift cam he's a fool for running it because the only heads worth running a cam with this lift are most likely not going to perform on the street. Personally I wouldn't listen to a word this guy is spewing and find some new friends at work.

Ya, back in the day there were alot less cam choices and most poeple knew even less about the specs. Alot of poeple would refer to cams as "full race" or the ever popular 3/4 race cam. I still hear the term used from time to time by the older generation mostly. But no, it doesnt mean 3/4" lift but I have heard poeple say that as well because they dont know any better. Its usually the guy telling the story about the '57 chevy he has "at home in the garage" because its too fast to drive on the street. And he has yet to have a passenger that could grab a $100 bill off the dashboard at 1/2 throttle. Nobody has ever seen said car and the guy usually shows up at cruise nite in a chevette.

Is .750 lift possible? Sure, but your not likely to see it in a street car.