Cam removal, wow..

91foxbod50

Sep 26, 2007
So i took the cam out of my car today to replace it with a e 303. Let me first start off by saying this was my first time doing a cam while the motor was still in the car. So.... I pulled the radiator ( made a mess ) and yanked the intake off valve covers etc etc then moved to the water pump. Soo im trying to slide the cam out and WHAM! slipped and fell on my ash.. So now i got antifreeze in my butt crack and im trying to get this cam out. I keep fighting and fighting and WHAM! the hood prop pops off and i get knocked in the head!! So now im mad! :mad: i start prying with all my might to get this friggen cam out.....

I look up and noticed i didnt take the rods out or loosen the retaining bolt that holds the clamp for the cam....

Well all is well now. the e 303 is in and ill be buttoning everything back up tomorrow. im just waiting on my rockers to come in so i can swap the heads.

• Sponsors (?)

Thing I hate the most on stangs is installing uppers and lowers and fighting with the rear end and arms to line up in the holes. Seems straight forward, but them arms just don't flex a millimeter when you need to move them around. That IMO is the biggest PITA on a Mustang.

Sounds like you had a helluva time :stick: But, I bet you won't forget any steps next time ;)

Don't be fooled, we've all had our moments. Just like NikwoaC said, if you ever have to muscle something on these cars (or any other car), that's when it's time to stop, take a breather, and re-evaluate the situation.

Thing I hate the most on stangs is installing uppers and lowers and fighting with the rear end and arms to line up in the holes. Seems straight forward, but them arms just don't flex a millimeter when you need to move them around. That IMO is the biggest PITA on a Mustang.

When I did mine, I used the ratcheting strap method, swapping one arm at a time. Wasn't so bad, but it IS a workout doing it on jack stands and laying under the car.