cams and a new tune...

steedman07

Nov 20, 2007
Connecticut
I recently installed Comp Cams NSR stage 1 blower cam in the car. Got it dyno tuned again at EFILOGICS by ChrisSK the owner..Keep in mind I have an auto, so the gains would be more with a stick..And my MAF was about pegged after 6,200 rpm's.I will put a MAFIA on this spring when I install the after-cooler..

32 whp gain over the previous dyno run from the end of November..Im pretty happy with the result, would have been more with a 5-speed..

http://www.efilogics.com/dyno/index.php?runid1=127&runid2=0&hp=1&torque=1&gb=0

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, according to that graph, your low end torque is at stock levels until about 4500 r.p.m.:notnice: Centrifugals just don't have the fun of a twin screw. It appears that your car excels for about the last 2,000 rpm that is rarely used.
I'm not trying to insult you or your car, that's just not for me. I'm sure I'd poop my pants after you hit 5,000 r.p.m. if I were riding in it.:D

The link doesn't work. How much did the cams cost you?

Wow, according to that graph, your low end torque is at stock levels until about 4500 r.p.m.:notnice: Centrifugals just don't have the fun of a twin screw. It appears that your car excels for about the last 2,000 rpm that is rarely used.
I'm not trying to insult you or your car, that's just not for me. I'm sure I'd poop my pants after you hit 5,000 r.p.m. if I were riding in it.:D

I have 4:10's, its not below 4,000 rpm's very long at all..Thats a very modest MD dyno..I got a tune last may on another shops MD dyno and it was almost 30 more ft lbs than it is now...I could be a dyno queen and get a pull on a dynojet and show everyone my 450 whp car..Well see what happens at the track..And what are your mods?

I agree that centri's might not be as "fun" as a twin screw, but there is a lot to be said for making power right up to the rev limiter with a centri where a twin screw is falling off before that.

I want a twin screw in the worst way so I can be an idiot and spend a fortune on tires, but if I was interested in 1/4 mile times I think I would rather have the power up top. You are never going to be in the lower rpm's on the track anyway.

Regardless of all that, the guy has a beautiful car, congrats bro.

No A/F graph? What kind of dyno do they use?[/QUOTE

A/F gragh is not operational yet..Its a Mustang AWD 500SE dyno..

I agree that centri's might not be as "fun" as a twin screw, but there is a lot to be said for making power right up to the rev limiter with a centri where a twin screw is falling off before that.

I want a twin screw in the worst way so I can be an idiot and spend a fortune on tires, but if I was interested in 1/4 mile times I think I would rather have the power up top. You are never going to be in the lower rpm's on the track anyway.

Regardless of all that, the guy has a beautiful car, congrats bro.

Thanks alot pal^^You gotta headup to the track with us this year:nice:..Some drag radials and a 3,000 stall for the spring, and 11's or bust:D

I, too, have a Vortech centrifugal blower (V2 SQ S-trim, non-intercooled). My 07 GT is an automatic with 4.10 gears, as well. Oddly enough, I also had mine dyno-tuned on a Mustang dyno (which read 5-10% lower than a DynoJet). And, automatics have about a 20% power loss through the drivetrain as opposed to a manual trans which only lose about 15% of the flywheel power through the drivetrain.

My car only put down 351 rwhp as configured above (and using a very ultra conservative daily-driver tune), but runs 12.30's @ 111+ in the 1/4 mile. 0-60 mph is 3.7 seconds, and 0-100 mph is 9.9 seconds. Plenty of fun, IMO, for a car that has a 100% stock engine, 100% stock exhaust, 100% stock suspension, and is a heavy well-optioned automatic.

Steedman07 is right that you don't really spend much time under 4,000 rpm's - especially at WOT and/or at the track - regardless of which blower you're using so having a centrifugal is great for racing. And, I also have a 4,800 rpm stall converter, so at WOT I'm always running between 4,800 rpm's and the 6,400 rpm shiftpoints with no letting off the gas for gear changes.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just pointing out that in congested traffic I drive in, I'm lucky to get above 3,000 rpm on any given day, Also, the twin screw would have u a 1/4 track behind by 330 ft. Also, the twin would win (poet and don't know it) as it is da sheeot. No mods here, saving for the only one that counts.

I, too, have a Vortech centrifugal blower (V2 SQ S-trim, non-intercooled). My 07 GT is an automatic with 4.10 gears, as well. Oddly enough, I also had mine dyno-tuned on a Mustang dyno (which read 5-10% lower than a DynoJet). And, automatics have about a 20% power loss through the drivetrain as opposed to a manual trans which only lose about 15% of the flywheel power through the drivetrain.

My car only put down 351 rwhp as configured above (and using a very ultra conservative daily-driver tune), but runs 12.30's @ 111+ in the 1/4 mile. 0-60 mph is 3.7 seconds, and 0-100 mph is 9.9 seconds. Plenty of fun, IMO, for a car that has a 100% stock engine, 100% stock exhaust, 100% stock suspension, and is a heavy well-optioned automatic.

Steedman07 is right that you don't really spend much time under 4,000 rpm's - especially at WOT and/or at the track - regardless of which blower you're using so having a centrifugal is great for racing. And, I also have a 4,800 rpm stall converter, so at WOT I'm always running between 4,800 rpm's and the 6,400 rpm shiftpoints with no letting off the gas for gear changes.
It just shows you hp #'s dont mean ****..Its 1/4 mile and 0-60 that matters..Nice 1/4 mile time, im sure the stall helped immensly, Ill have one come spring along with some DR's..

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just pointing out that in congested traffic I drive in, I'm lucky to get above 3,000 rpm on any given day, Also, the twin screw would have u a 1/4 track behind by 330 ft. Also, the twin would win (poet and don't know it) as it is da sheeot. No mods here, saving for the only one that counts.

good luck with that..and your 1/4 mile/330 ft. behind statement is not very accurate..Traction is a huge issue with twin screws with that much power with a car not solely 1/4 equipped..

I'm not offended at all, and I seriously considered a twin screw for my car initially. Keep in mind that my Vortech V2 is not intercooled (it's a standard S-trim, not the HO version), so I'm running low boost and a very mild tune, accordingly. With Vortech's aftercooler, I would be able to bump boost and the tune way up. A buddy of mine has that setup (Vortech V2 S-trim HO with aftercooler) and is putting down 470 rwhp compared to my 351 rwhp, and he's got a mid-11 second ride to show for it (versus my 12.30's).

Also, why would a twin screw beat me in the short times at the track? I launch at 4,800 rpm's (stall converter), and the revs never fall below that for the whole track so I'm always making good boost for the whole track. My last run down the 1/4 mile yielded a 1.80 sixty foot time, 5.12 330' time, 7.89 @ 90+ 1/8 mile, 10.3 1000' time, and a 12.34 @ 111+ 1/4 mile. My short times are excellent for a heavy automatic car. I've beaten brand new '08 Vettes to the 1/8 mile, and was dead even at the 1/8 mile with a Z06 Vette this season, so I don't feel my launch or low speed acceleration is at all compromised by having a centrifugal blower vs a twin screw.

What I love about a twin screw is the instant torque so that you can incinerate tires on command on the street, but that's not particularly useful at the track when traction is key to winning races. So, a twin screw is fun, while my centrifugal is more focused on results.

What I love about a twin screw is the instant torque so that you can incinerate tires on command on the street, but that's not particularly useful at the track when traction is key to winning races. So, a twin screw is fun, while my centrifugal is more focused on results.

Exactly, and I hope to be proving that point daily by incinerating lots of tires this summer!

And if you guys want to see traction you should take a ride in my new DD, an 08 STi, lightly modded already and more parts in the mail.:D

Exactly, and I hope to be proving that point daily by incinerating lots of tires this summer!

And if you guys want to see traction you should take a ride in my new DD, an 08 STi, lightly modded already and more parts in the mail.:D

Love them STi's. While I'm tradtionally a V8 kind of person and have never owned a Subie, I actually like the sound of a healthy boxer motor.

Picked the car up today after a fresh tune from EFILOGICS..and I am verrrrry happy..It noticeably pulls harder from 4,000 on up to 6,500..He firmed up the shifts and 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to fourth are spot on.Very little drop in boost cuz its shifting at 6,500 now:D..Hell I even brought it up to 6,400-6,500 in fourth and manually put it in overdrive and boost didnt even drop that much..Who says overdrive aint a useful gear??

Picked the car up today after a fresh tune from EFILOGICS..and I am verrrrry happy..It noticeably pulls harder from 4,000 on up to 6,500..He firmed up the shifts and 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to fourth are spot on.Very little drop in boost cuz its shifting at 6,500 now:D..Hell I even brought it up to 6,400-6,500 in fourth and manually put it in overdrive and boost didnt even drop that much..Who says overdrive aint a useful gear??

I love it when someone builds a car with parts that work in harmony together in a specific rpm range, as you've done. Your cams, centri blower, and 4.10's are all ideal for the 4,500 to 6,500 rpm range.

Now you just need a stall converter that'll flash to somewhere in the 4,000 to 4,500 rpm range and you'll be set. I would suggest getting a stall converter that's rated to flash to about 3,000 rpm's (on a stock S197 GT) as that would likely stall in the 4,000 to 4,500 rpm range in your car. I bought a stall converter rated to stall to 3,600 rpm's, and it flashed to 3,800 rpm's lightly modded before the blower and 4,800 rpm's with the blower. Ideally, you'd want a stall converter that flashes to just below peak torque (which is likely around 5,000 rpm's in your car with the Vortech & cams).

I love it when someone builds a car with parts that work in harmony together in a specific rpm range, as you've done. Your cams, centri blower, and 4.10's are all ideal for the 4,500 to 6,500 rpm range.

Now you just need a stall converter that'll flash to somewhere in the 4,000 to 4,500 rpm range and you'll be set. I would suggest getting a stall converter that's rated to flash to about 3,000 rpm's (on a stock S197 GT) as that would likely stall in the 4,000 to 4,500 rpm range in your car. I bought a stall converter rated to stall to 3,600 rpm's, and it flashed to 3,800 rpm's lightly modded before the blower and 4,800 rpm's with the blower. Ideally, you'd want a stall converter that flashes to just below peak torque (which is likely around 5,000 rpm's in your car with the Vortech & cams).

Ya, that was the plan..And thanks for the stall info..Around March it will go in and some Dr's, then hopefully 11's with some suspension tweaks..

Ya, that was the plan..And thanks for the stall info..Around March it will go in and some Dr's, then hopefully 11's with some suspension tweaks..

11's will definitely be there for you with DR's. I run 12.30's @ 111 with less horsepower and a very similar car (Vortech, automatic, 4.10's, stall converter, DR's), so with your extra power I'll be watching for you to post some 11 second timeslips this spring!

When racing, the top 2K are the ONLY one used!! That is the GREAT part, and what makes centris and turbos BETTER for street! On a daily driver in the rain, 500ft/lbs at 2500 is insignificant!
When racing, and only using the top 2K, you guessed it.... those early rpm not used...

I hate to state the obvious, but... OBVIOUSLY I had to:D