Can I drive without a tune?

Hey there, this is my first post, though I’ve used this forum for every issue I’ve had. You guys are great!
I just put a 331 stroker into my 89 Foxbody. All forged internals, earson heads with 1.6 rockers, earson cam, edelbrock performer 2 upper and lower manifold, factory fuel rail, 30 lb trickflow injectors, 255 fuel pump, BBKcalibrated mass air for 30 lb injectors, bbk shorty headers with bbk h pipe and cats and factory computer. New tremec tko transmission with McLeod flywheel and clutch . My question is I plane on taking it to the dyno and getting a tune with a sct chip, but I would like to drive it around a little to make sure everything is working before they do what they do. I’ve changed out the breakin oil with 10-30 for now and my machinist says he would fire it up and take it to the tune shop so I don’t wash out my rings...I’ve smelt the oil constantly LOL and dose not reak of fuel. Can I drive this thing without a chip/tune ??? I’m in no way going to beat it up but would like to put some miles on it before I send it . Any thoughts ?

• Sponsors (?)

Should be able to.
Thanks
As long as all the electronics are calibrated for each other you'll be ok. Just not at peak efficiency and obviously you'll be guessing your hp and tq numbers.
I live in the middle of nowhere lol the nearest reputable tune shop is 2 hours one way and it’s gonna be an expensive tow. Also with absolutely everything new I kinda wanted to break my clutch in before they beat on it on the dyno

They won't beat on it. They'll drive it up to 5000 - 5500 rpm a few times. If it was me I'd drive it straight there. I drove an hour and a half for my tune after learning it was a 'Bama tune.

Hey there, this is my first post, though I’ve used this forum for every issue I’ve had. You guys are great!
I just put a 331 stroker into my 89 Foxbody. All forged internals, earson heads with 1.6 rockers, earson cam, edelbrock performer 2 upper and lower manifold, factory fuel rail, 30 lb trickflow injectors, 255 fuel pump, BBKcalibrated mass air for 30 lb injectors, bbk shorty headers with bbk h pipe and cats and factory computer. New tremec tko transmission with McLeod flywheel and clutch . My question is I plane on taking it to the dyno and getting a tune with a sct chip, but I would like to drive it around a little to make sure everything is working before they do what they do. I’ve changed out the breakin oil with 10-30 for now and my machinist says he would fire it up and take it to the tune shop so I don’t wash out my rings...I’ve smelt the oil constantly LOL and dose not reak of fuel. Can I drive this thing without a chip/tune ??? I’m in no way going to beat it up but would like to put some miles on it before I send it . Any thoughts ?
Please be sure to follow the break in procedures for the clutch. You must complete that before taking the car to a dyno. The harmonics on a dyno can keep the clutch from bedding. Please follow this link to our instructions. It does not matter which clutch you purchased - the break in procedure is the same. Thanks! Any questions please call our tech dept.at 714-630-2763 or email them at [email protected].

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users