Car Back Together and Dyno Tuned: Results

92 Couper

Founding Member
Mar 11, 1999
Dacula, Georgia
Background:

The engine has been together without much change since 2000. The previous best dyno results were in February of 2002, which were 498 hp and 455 lb/ft at the wheels (dynojet). The combo at that time was:

Stock 92 shortblock and cam
Vortech S-Trim Supercharger with 2.95" Pulley (16 psi @6000 rpm)
ASP 7" Crank Pulley
Edelbrock 6037 Aluminum Cylinder Heads
Trick Flow “Street” Intake Manifold
FRPP 65 mm Throttle Body and Spacer
Pro-M 80 mm MAF with Conical Air Filter
Dynotech "Boostmaster" 4" Inlet Pipe
Crane “Cobra” 1.7 Roller Rocker Arms
FRPP 42 lb/hr Fuel Injectors
Crane HI-6R Ignition with TRC-2 Boost Retard and PS91 Coil
Autologic mail order chip by JMS
FRPP 1 5/8" SS Shorty Headers
Bassani 2 1/2" Catalytic X-Pipe
Dynomax 2 1/2" Super-Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust

Since that time (recently) I had converted from the 7"/2.95" blower pulley set up to a 8"/3.33" renegade set up that gave me the same boost numbers up top but did a lot to stop belt slippage. I had also ditched the JMS chip and gone to a homebrew tune with the timing retard. Ended up getting a minor head gasket leak after a tank of bad gas in April, so it was time to pull it apart.

While apart, I went ahead and had the non-hardened spring seats on the 6037's heads replaced with hardened ones, had a good valve job done, replaced the seals, cleaned up the surfaces, polished the chambers, and added a new set of Crane springs and retainers. In putting it back together I swapped out:Crane 2031 cam for stock cam, FRPP ceramic coated shorty headers for FRPP non-coated shorties, New double roller timing chain set (old was was really stretched).

Got it all back together on Saturday 5/13 and took it to Atlanta Chassis Dyno on Monday (5/15) to have it tuned with a new chip. Brad Brand did the tuning using the SCT chip and software. We made a total of 9 pulls in getting the tune set up right.

CompHPT5-15-06.jpg

The red run is the baseline pull made when I first arrived. It made 479/441 on that pull but was very rich (way less than 10 to 1) through the middle rpms. Brad then put a baseline program from another supercharged fox on the chip and began making pulls and tweeking the MAF enrichment table. Eventually getting it to a point where it was 11.5 to 1 at the torque peak and 12.1 to 1 at max boost. The results were 525/480 (blue run). We buttoned it up and took it for a drive to make sure there were no drivability problems.

The car is faster than it has ever been. Looking at the curves we picked up 45/38 at peak, but the real story is in the mid rpms where were able to pick up around 70hp/100 ft/lbs between 4000 and 5000 rpm. That translates into incredible grunt. It has never pulled this hard above 3500 rpm. Right now it seems scary fast, but I am sure I will get used to it. Finished up by taking it to have it's annual emissions test, which it passed fine.

Now hopefully I can enjoy it for another 6 years while I save up for a dart block to replace the stocker.

eng001.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, those are great numbers. That's a lot to ask of a stock block though, so hopefully it will last. I'm suprised to see what looks like a fairly stock fuel system (lines and rails) What pumps are you using?

Mike92GT said:
Wow, those are great numbers. That's a lot to ask of a stock block though, so hopefully it will last. I'm suprised to see what looks like a fairly stock fuel system (lines and rails) What pumps are you using?

Yes, the number are right on the edge for the block. I used it run it to 6200 rpm and now only run it to 5800 rpm. That coupled with the fact that I do not race the car or even drive it very often should help. But when it happens it will give me an excuse to build a 331 to replace it.

The fuels system is:
42 lb injectors
SN95 Fuel Rails
Kirban AFPR
Stock lines
255 lph High Pressure in tank pump
BBK external pump

Plenty of fuel for now, but it will need to be address if I go much farther.

Damn, very nice. That seals it, I'm beyond my current underdriven A-trim setup and need to step up my an S :nice:

Everything else we have is nearly the same (stock '92 cam & block too!) - I want some real numbers! :rant: