Car died on the freeway going home.....

Blakers01GT

Master of the Clubhead
Founding Member
Sep 21, 2001
Brown Deer, WI
ummmm, since my car got tuned recently, the car has NEVER ran better, never ran stronger, and gas mileage as gone up. As I was slowing down to get off on my exit to go home I as going around 50mph and my system was going and peaked down and my instrument guage and noticed my battery light was on, I'm like WTF!? and almost ran into the curb when i was exiting and jerked the wheel HARD to get it back on line since the power steering was out, and coasted on the off ramp and started the car back up going about 20 mph and it ran fine the rest of the way.

Any suggestions? Think it's just a freak one time thing? the car has been idling PERFECT, running perfect, pulls great, sounds great ETC. anything I should check, worry about?

Blake

• Sponsors (?)

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but I don't know if our problems are similar.

I was doing a burnout and accellerating hard for 60ft or so, then I braked hard and made a left turn. Upon making the left turn my car just died. No sputtering, nothing.. I stopped and it started right back up. Been running strong ever since.

This may sound obvious, but were you low on gas? Maybe when you turned off the highway the gas was flowing away from the pickup?

Riley

Skud said:
That happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but I don't know if our problems are similar.

I was doing a burnout and accellerating hard for 60ft or so, then I braked hard and made a left turn. Upon making the left turn my car just died. No sputtering, nothing.. I stopped and it started right back up. Been running strong ever since.

This may sound obvious, but were you low on gas? Maybe when you turned off the highway the gas was flowing away from the pickup?

Riley

no I have a good half tank left, but I am not too worried since my car has been running great lately.

did you go to an off brand gas station the last time you filled up??? could have been justa spot of water in the gas that happened to me once... then again that entire tank of gas sucked not just 1 stall out....

hope your fuel pump isnt going out not sure of they can go out and then work again.???

Tampa04GT said:
did you go to an off brand gas station the last time you filled up??? could have been justa spot of water in the gas that happened to me once... then again that entire tank of gas sucked not just 1 stall out....

hope your fuel pump isnt going out not sure of they can go out and then work again.???

No I fill up at either BP(Amoco) or Mobil. And I doubt it's my fuel pump, I just got that replaced a couple months ago.

i think mustangs are known to do this mine did it when i first got it new last august did it like 3 times hasen't did it in quite a while now but all the people i talk to say it has happened to them atleast once. mine hasen't done it in about 4 months now.

it happend to me three times. twice when i first got my car( sounds similar to someone elses story. third time was the first week after winter storage. all other times it seems to run ok. dangerous though, someone could be hurt. shouldnt have to deal with things like this, or ticking heads, or grinding trans......but thats ford.

Before I traded my Infiniti g35, I had a problem with the car stalling at high speeds. This only happened with my aftermarket CAI. Basically, when I would be going highway speeds and dump the clutch, the rpm's would drop to zero and the car would turn off. Did you put the car in neutral when you were exiting? This might be a similar problem.

snoopy98 said:
i think mustangs are known to do this mine did it when i first got it new last august did it like 3 times hasen't did it in quite a while now but all the people i talk to say it has happened to them atleast once. mine hasen't done it in about 4 months now.
i haven't had a random stalling problem in the 4 years, 6 months of owning my car

This is something that maybe in another direction. I used to have a really banging system in my old GT. 2 500Watt 12s bridged off a 750Watt Amp. The wiring from my battery was 4 guage & had a 60 Amp fuse. The amp had 3 30 Amp fuses. I had something else in the car, very important, that many people don't run w/ banging systems. A 1 farad capacitor. Capacitors resist changes in voltage. They are what cause your lights not to dim when you bass hard & what cause your RPMs not to drop because of heavy load on your alternator when you're idling. If you've had a powerful system for a while w/ no capacitor your alternator is growing weaker day by day & you should expect more stalls. Even if you install a cap now, the damage to your alternator's done & you will eventually have to replace it. However, if you do get the cap now, you probably won't stall like that anymore. If you don't believe what I'm saying, just wait longer.

yeah I am considering everything, I'm not too worried about it. I'm gonna clean my IAC right away like Tim said. as far as my system, my lights don't dim at all, cause I have a optima yellow top which has helped BIG TIME. but before that i am sure my alternator took a nice beating when I had the stock battery. I'll see though, and yes I believe i put it in neutral and coasted a bit and thats when it shut off, thanks guys.

Blake

Same problem my 03 has died out on me about 5 times since ive owned it either when im getting of the highway or just driving around or going threw a corner......
but it can scare the hell out of you when going 70+ and all you cabn do is try to restart it quickly. I was told once it might be an idle control sensor from a mechanic at Ford but they can never get it to do it......if anyone has any ideas let us know!!!